Splotchy colour in stained glaze

Min

I’m working on a clear glaze with stain that breaks and pools. If I spray the test pots they look okay but is there a way to get an even glaze with dipping? With dipping trials the glaze seems to go on the pot okay, no drips or runs and it looks even when raw but splotchy when fired. I'm using 2% stain in a low expansion clear, ^6 1/2, smooth white clay.

Thanks in advance for any help, Min

I’m working on a clear glaze with stain that breaks and pools. If I spray the test pots they look okay but is there a way to get an even glaze with dipping? With dipping trials the glaze seems to go on the pot okay, no drips or runs and it looks even when raw but splotchy when fired. I'm using 2% stain in a low expansion clear, ^6 1/2, smooth white clay.

Min,

The problem with a "splotch" is it can look much like a "blotch" at the right time of day, especially if you are not feeling well.

You really need a photo get more accurate speculation about this defect.

Good luck.

John255

[

Min,

The problem with a "splotch" is it can look much like a "blotch" at the right time of day, especially if you are not feeling well.

You really need a photo get more accurate speculation about this defect.

Good luck.

John255

You are right, I should have attached a photo in the first place. The gray glaze on the test piece isn't too bad but the green really shows the colour uneveness. Min

i don't see anything wrong. the glazes pool in low places and show up darker. maybe if you see something i don't.   you could circle the offending splotch, blotch with a sharpie so it can be seen more easily. these pieces look great to me, the pooling of color is just right in the impressions.

i don't see anything wrong. the glazes pool in low places and show up darker. maybe if you see something i don't you could circle the offending splotch, blotch with a sharpie so it can be seen more easily. these pieces look great to me, the pooling of color is just right in the impressions.

Thanks for looking at my tests "Old Lady", better picture posted now. Min

You are right, I should have attached a photo in the first place. The gray glaze on the test piece isn't too bad but the green really shows the colour uneveness. Min

I wouldn't call that splotchy. I'd call it nice. Granted you can see it better than those of us looking at the pictures, but the gray glaze looks just as "splotchy" to me as the green. I'd be complaining if the glaze was just a bland, even, commercial-looking glaze instead of a the glaze you have with subtle variations of color depending on thickness.

The difference in your sprayed tests and your dipped pots is that spraying results (when done carefully) in a very even layer of glaze that is not affected much by indents in the surface (during application), whereas with dipping the glaze tends to be thicker and pools in low spots and thins off in high spots. So, naturally, you're going to get a lot more unevenness with dipping--which, I think in this case is better.

Jim

Archived