Used wheel wanted

Hi everyone. I just found this forum and was hoping to get some advice. I have taken basic wheel throwing classes for about 1 1/2 years. I think I'm ready to purchase my own wheel for my home. Can anyone offer any suggestions for where I might find an affordable wheel? I have been looking on craigslist, but no success so far. Also, where do you store your wheel? I live in North Carolina, and I wanted to make sure that the humidity wouldn't harm the components of the wheel.

Thanks!!

Hi everyone. I just found this forum and was hoping to get some advice. I have taken basic wheel throwing classes for about 1 1/2 years. I think I'm ready to purchase my own wheel for my home. Can anyone offer any suggestions for where I might find an affordable wheel? I have been looking on craigslist, but no success so far. Also, where do you store your wheel? I live in North Carolina, and I wanted to make sure that the humidity wouldn't harm the components of the wheel.

Thanks!!

Check this link on the same problem. Wheels are made to stand up to moisture, basement work is not a problem.

I recently just acquired a wheel, after looking for the past several months.

I ended up finding mine on Craig's List.

There are always a few on eBay, but many of the sellers are asking, for far more than the wheel is worth, especially the Amaco Number 1 models.

You can also check the Public Surplus and Govdeal.com websites. Sometimes they have wheels, and kilns.

I would just stick with Craig's List though. I think you'll have the best luck there, it will just take some patients. Sites like Search Tempest, are good, but the wheel I found, wasn't initially showing up on there for some reason.

+1. For search tempest/ Craig's list...... Got my wheel from there. For. Free dollars.

Public surplus is good. Depends on how far you want to drive . But in past few months I've seen shimpo wheels, puggers, and clay mixers, kilns... For a steal

Also call around to,find your public school,district surplus. My friend picked up an almost new skutt skutt 1227 for $300.

Sometimes the last 2 will need some work. Sometimes perfect.

Pres..... Re humidity. How about on covered on patio in humid Florida?

Hi ncclaygirl,

I'd start with checking craigslist and classifieds in your area If you're looking to save some money.

There should be plenty of em wheels on craiglook - just punch in "pottery wheel" and your city and go:

99p5d4.jpg

Thanks!!

when you look on craigslist, do not forget that most people cannot spell and do not think the way you do. look under potters wheel, pottery wheel, kiln and as many varieties of spelling you can think of. if you set a minimum price of at least $50 and ask for the search only in title with pictures, you will eliminate a lot of the junk. like kiln dried lumber, pottery barn whatever and all kinds of things you would never associate with pottery.

you are in north carolina where people have been "turning" pottery, not throwing it. and "burning" it, not firing it for over a hundred years.

when you look on craigslist, do not forget that most people cannot spell and do not think the way you do. look under potters wheel, pottery wheel, kiln and as many varieties of spelling you can think of. if you set a minimum price of at least $50 and ask for the search only in title with pictures, you will eliminate a lot of the junk. like kiln dried lumber, pottery barn whatever and all kinds of things you would never associate with pottery.

you are in north carolina where people have been "turning" pottery, not throwing it. and "burning" it, not firing it for over a hundred years.

Great advice.

Most of the wheels I came across were found by just typing in "Wheel" in the "Arts" section on Craigslist. I don't recommend that on something like eBay, because it will take too long to skim through the results. Usually potter's wheel and pottery wheel, gave me the best result, with the latter giving me the most.

where are you? just for fun, i looked for a potters wheel in craigslist, washington DC. that site regularly sends you to nearby locations. there is a brand new clay boss for sale for $450 located at the edge of the virginia/maryland border at the easternmost corner of each state. on the Delmarva peninsula for those of you who know the area. that is about 150 miles from Elizabeth city if you are on the eastern half of NC. a lovely drive on a nice day.

there is someone selling a bunch of stuff including a kiln and a shimpo whisper in Abingdon Va for only $1200 for all of it. that is just up highway 81 a few miles into virginia from the NC border. and she put a phone number in the ad so you could TALK about separating out the wheel.

you are right. there is nothing worthwhile in the state of NC on craigslist.

Greetings! I'm also in NC. Craig's List is hit and miss, you have to keep looking. I found my electric wheel, slab roller and kiln via CL. If at all possible, keep your wheel in a climate controlled area. The high humidity we have will have an effect on the metal components and I'd bet it can effect the electrical as well.

Don't you hate it when somebody starts a thread and then never even comes back to appreciate all the posts and advices.

yes

Just because she does not reply, does not mean she didn't read the posts. It is a little irritating not to see a reply post, but then it happens.

Don't you hate it when somebody starts a thread and then never even comes back to appreciate all the posts and advices.

yes

Just because she does not reply, does not mean she didn't read the posts. It is a little irritating not to see a reply post, but then it happens.

between myself, jim, and pres it looks like we covered the gamut for responses pretty well ;)

yes

between myself, jim, and pres it looks like we covered the gamut for responses pretty well wink.gif

We make a good team, sorta the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Just because she does not reply, does not mean she didn't read the posts.

No, she didn't. Her last activity on this forum was June 06. Maybe she found the wheel right away.

Kind of: You bring the car to the mechanic, it stops making that noise.

You post a question, the answer comes to your head.

No, she didn't. Her last activity on this forum was June 06. Maybe she found the wheel right away.

:) Well in case someone else is looking..

I found my kick wheel on Craigslist and got a used brentcxc from the art museum that was re locating. I know I am supposed to like the brent better, but everything seems to work better for me when I am on the kick wheel. <3 I love it!!

smile.gif Well in case someone else is looking..

I found my kick wheel on Craigslist and got a used brentcxc from the art museum that was re locating. I know I am supposed to like the brent better, but everything seems to work better for me when I am on the kick wheel. <3 I love it!!

I'll take the CXC off your hands free of charge!

Archived