41 replies to this topic

#41 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

Once I stopped trying to get the clay true to the bat, all of my centering issues went away. I keep my hands off the bats. I came to this realization after watching people on youtube thow beautiful big vessels on bats that were stuck to the wheel head with clay wads. The bats were moving up and down and roughly centered. It has no effect because they were throwing in relation to the center of mass of the clay and not trying to true it to the surface of the bat. Try to open in a 'V' rather than a straight wall. The V from the edge down to the center is self-centering all you need to do is control the lip with a thumb or finger of the top.

This guy throws with a wobbly bat:

This is also a good clip:

I only have YouTube and this site to learn from, there are no facilities or people in Central North Dakota to teach. Hope it helps or at least gives you somehting to try.

-Brian

Try doing that with a 25" cylinder-it doesn't work!

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#42 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

I let my clay freeze in the winter. When thawed it obviously has to be rewedged. Freezing brings water to the surface, and if I cut off the sides, my clay is pretty stiff. Most of the time though a couple times of cut and slam and spiral wedging bring it to very workable condition. The only time I like the wetter clay is when throwing plates, wetter clay makes the job so much easier.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users