I Need a Glassy Blue Rutile ^6 Glaze

yedrow

Every time I find a floating blue formula, I compare it to what I had, and they always seem to be the same... The first time I tested, it came out as you're describing, only mine was matte, not semi-. Ugliest thing I ever saw. After I ordered some Gerstley Borate from Laguna, instead of the 'substitute' someone else sold me, I got a better result. Could that be affecting yours?

It isn't the wonderful floating blue I used back in college, but it was cone 10.... For me, this one only really shows the floating characteristics when used over another glaze. I don't know if I'm not getting it thick enough, or what. Still working on that...

I'm not familiar with floating blue, but I have been testing a glaze by Tony Hansen-Alberta slip rutile blue, it depends on which clay body on how blue it is. It seems to be very reliable, I'll try to dig the formula up out of my studio later and post it. Denice

Cool! Thanks folks, I'm gonna do a glaze test tomorrow or tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm not sure how soon I'll have any alberta slip and it'll be a couple of days before I can calcine some zinc, so those will have to wait till next week or so. I'm trying to get some ware together to see how well people like it outside of the context of my job. Hopefully one of these will put some blue into my display.

Joel.

Cool! Thanks folks, I'm gonna do a glaze test tomorrow or tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm not sure how soon I'll have any alberta slip and it'll be a couple of days before I can calcine some zinc, so those will have to wait till next week or so. I'm trying to get some ware together to see how well people like it outside of the context of my job. Hopefully one of these will put some blue into my display.

Joel.

i just read the van gilder recipe for rutile green. bill uses it as a thin glaze over other colors but i do not. i thicken it by adding less than the normal amount of water. i have used many different stains in the base glaze and it is one of my favorites. it makes a great yellow. the "hare's fur" effect is really beautiful but it has a flattening effect on texture.

it is amazing that we all use the same thing to produce different effects.

Below is a cobalt/rutile glaze that I've used for the past few years. I think I found it on the internet a couple years ago when I was trying to find some ^6 hare's fur glazes/oil spots/tortoise shell (without a whole lot of luck dry.gif) - anyways...I found this one was labeled as ^6 Oil Spot and I like it. Oxidation makes beautiful glassy rutile blue hare fur surface that favors the cobalt. Reduction makes it go matte and favor the rutile. I've never tested the glaze or put it in a program, but it seems to fit my clay and has no crazing that I've noticed.

^6 Oil Spot

46 #3134

34 EPK

18 Silica

3 Cobalt

5 Rutile

nope, adds up to 98. i'm sure if you wanted you could make it add up to 100 - but then you're dealing with fractions of grams.

i always use cobalt carb for blue colorant - it's cheaper and gives just as brilliant of a blue. either one will work though - just keep in mind that the oxide form will be "stronger" (or chemically more potent) than the carbonate version because there are no extra elements added to the molecule per its weight (hope that made sense). ratio is about 1:2 for cobalt ox:cobalt carb

Archived