Milestone

I'm not bragging, just happy. I hit a couple of milestones this week. I got right close to 30 mugs an hour without a loss in size and with good shapes. And, today I cranked out 15, 3 1/2 lb. pie plates an hour while holding a conversation!!!

I have been changing some of my techniques in the last couple of months and today I began really testing those changes in production. Yes, it's boring, but I've already told my personal potter friends, I hope y'all can overlook expressions of accomplishment for a moment.

I, too, am a "production" artist, and, because of the nature of my designs, each piece is just slightly different from the others.

Not that it matters a whit to the final consumer of the product. When she sips her tea from the mug she does not think of the "other 29" lined up on a ware board, waiting for their glaze.

post-3921-13410640356_thumb.jpg

post-3921-13410640356_thumb.jpg

Boring you used that word and its not ever in my head when I'm whipping out a zillion of the same forms. I think you should think of a mental way to avoid any thoughts of boring-how about $$ in the bank or think about all all the folks who will be using those mugs and what will be in them-far from boring.-If you are to keep at this for 40 more years boring is not the word that you need in your head.

Anyway congrats on the production milestone keep up the good work

soon you can do this with your eyes closed.

Mark

Congrats! The level of skill that takes is super impressive to a hobbyist especially :-).

And I agree that boring is not the right word. There's some about becoming facile in

a skill that allows artistic expression to flourish... which I'm sure you already know...

I didn't mean boring to me, heh. I'm excited. I was afraid that more artistic people would find production boring. I like production and functional ware, there is a rhythm to it that I find intoxicating. To me, the opportunity to make several versions of a thing is an opportunity to view the form in its myriad expressions. And, of course, I like making my house payment out of dirt too.

I'm not bragging, just happy. I hit a couple of milestones this week. I got right close to 30 mugs an hour without a loss in size and with good shapes. And, today I cranked out 15, 3 1/2 lb. pie plates an hour while holding a conversation!!!

I have been changing some of my techniques in the last couple of months and today I began really testing those changes in production. Yes, it's boring, but I've already told my personal potter friends, I hope y'all can overlook expressions of accomplishment for a moment.

Congrats on the production! I hope you don't wear yourself out. I did, but now I'm okay after a 35-year sabbatical and a promise to myself to never to do just production pottery again.

Jim

impressive and NOT boring. I wish I had that level of skill. Would you share some of the changes in technique you have been trying that help to reach this level?

You obviously found something that brought you to that 'sweet spot' of throwing.

The next time I make some mugs I'll try to remember to make a video :)

Archived