Location for Pottery Wheel

Hi!

New member here. I have taken a few years of classes at a local arts center, and have finally decided to purchase my own wheel and throw at home. I have been searching for an area to place my pottery wheel, and was leaning more towards placing the wheel outside (for health and cleaning reasons). I plan on either purchasing a Shimpo VL Lite or one of the Brent Wheels , and I was wondering how they would do in the hot Arizona weather, upwards of 100 degrees. I will definitely place underneath the patio though! I do have a spare bedroom that is carpeted and has no ventilation besides windows, so I don't think that would fare well either. One thing that I was thinking about is maybe buy a shed and put the wheel inside? I have no experience with this sort of stuff haha so if anyone could help that would be very appreciated. 

Have a great day!

If clay got onto the carpet, how would I clean it? Like with just a sponge and water? I don't wish to create any health hazards with inhaling dry dust or anything like that. I have an area downstairs that has tile flooring, but is next to the living room - if I just cleaned with a sponge really really well after I used the wheel do you think that would be ok in terms of health? 

Yeah I don't think keeping a wheel in 110+ weather would be great either. :) thanks for the help

Do you think it would be safe if I put the wheel in a pantry? It has shelving too so thats good. Its pretty small however it would only fit the wheel and a stool its like 4 ft by 7 ft ish? Stripping the bedroom of carpet then putting down new flooring isn't a viable option for me...

That's pretty small, I am in a very tiny area but it's about 6ft by 6ft, and I am always uncomfortable, so I don't recommend it.  Maybe on your porch is the best option for now.  I didnt mean laying a new floor, I just meant putting linoleum down on top of the carpet, or even put a section of plywood down and cover that in linoleum.  Then you can simply remove it and the carpet is underneath.

Last question! If I put linoleum into my own bedroom and kept the wheel there do you think it would be safe? It would be right next to my bed but there is a giant window and a fan so ventilation would be okay I suppose? I'd like to keep the guest bedroom simply as a guest bedroom. 

@GeoffPro, are you planning on just making pots at home and not getting a kiln and glaze materials? If it's just a wheel and throwing supplies it sounds like your pantry is the best option if you can keep it super clean and free of dust. Last thing you want to do is to be tracking dust through the rest of your house or blowing it around with a fan. Smallest throwing area I've seen a picture of is from the Closet Potter, she literally throws pots in a closet. Maybe throw in the pantry and have a shed for supplies and storing clay and pots? (you could be the Pantry Potter ;))

Clay, and clay dust, gets everywhere. I would never put a wheel in a bedroom. Find a spot that can be dedicated to just clay work, no matter how small. I would not worry about the heat. My studio regularly gets up to 100 degrees in the summer with the big kiln running, and the wheels are not affected. Maybe don't let the wheel bake in the direct sun, but beyond that it should be fine.

I'm a little cooler weather wise, but not much.  Solid 90 here today, 100 for you, East County San Diego.  I have a Tuff Shed, with a double door on one end and a roll up on the side.  The wheel is right next to the double doors.  I have water and bisque fire kiln in there.  The floor is plywood, painted with garage floor paint.  I've been in this for 18 years and I like it very much.

When I had to use a carpeted room for clay, I got a roll of vinyl flooring (the ugly ones are cheapest) to keep clay dust from entering the carpet and/or water getting to the underlying hardwood floor. A sheet of 1/2" plywood beneath the wheel and stool area kept their legs from pressing through the vinyl-over-carpet.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone- I'm based in Seattle in a city apartment. I have a decent 3' x 5' patio. My Brent is going out there and I'm gonna get an outdoor cover to go over it when I'm not using it. What do you all think.. ok for the motor? Probably gets down to 40 or 30 degrees minimum here. Light rain frequently. Summers never get hotter than 80 degrees. Thanks!

Archived