Fish Mugs

I had some friends over a few weeks ago-we seem to do this every few years

I provide the mug bodies we all make some fish and other designs on them-I bisque them then round two that come over and glaze them These folks are NOT CERAMIC folks

Just close friends

Heres a few from the kiln opening today

All are porcelain fired to cone 11 Reduction

These are on two sizes of mugs 12-14oz and some 16-18oz

_F8D5803.jpg

_F8D5798.jpg

_F8D5796.jpg

_F8D5794.jpg

1 hour ago, LeeU said:

What fun!!!! You may have mentioned this before, but what do you use to get such a smooth gradation for the background of your pieces? 

You must be talking about the photo -that a graduated background-its an old brand called Tint-Foto

It has an almost plastic feel to the back of it-its thick and the curve  cannot be seen.  I'm shooting 5 color balanced floresent lights-two are in light tents

I can posts a photo of the setup-as I rarley have this set up-maybe every 3-5 years as I do not shoot much product anymore.You do niot need this much stuff to shoot product anymore but a graduated background is one thing I still recommend .Mine is taking up about a 7x6 foot space in the dining room this week.

You can still buy a graduated backdrop at online photo shops like B$H-they come in all sizes

I'm selling a bunch of high end manual Nikon lens  all F2.8 for  a non computer literate  dive buddy who lives 500 miles away.. (I sold all mine long ago and went to auto focus stuff with old eyes.)

The stuff is on e-bay currently . We used to dive a lot together taking underwater photos.

I have a few of these cubes this is the large one.

I'm using a very nice lens as well its a nikon 24-120 F4 ED zoom

I bought this lens  and a few others for taking Grizzly Bear feeding on salmon photos in Alaska 6 years ago. It was my wives trip as I really am not a bear guy.

its another story really and yes I have bear photos as well.

tent1.jpg

2 hours ago, Pres said:

Never heard of the 1.4, only the F4, that must be one heck of a big bucks lens. Light gathering power in a broad zoom is impressive.

Love the Mugs, Great project for good memories for a bunch of friends.

best,

Pres

I stand corrected -you are right Pres its a f4-the barrel says 1.4 so it thru me-I looked it up-only just cost a tad over 1k

I have been very happy with it

1 hour ago, Pres said:

All of the write ups on the F4 have been great,  rated one of the best wildlife and travel lenses. I can see why that size zoom with clarity works well for your pottery.

best,

Pres

I really used my 300mm F4 a lot on that trip as well. One of my best lens is the 17-35m 2.8 for underwater wide angle.

Sounds like you know your lens Pres.

I have been a long time photo enthusiast ever since my Dad got his first Pentax with lenses, he could afford it as in the military he was often in Japan. I have owned Konica's, Canon's, Pentax's and lately several Panasonics. Of late an FZ-1000. While not in the class of your Nikon, it is a good camera with a attached zoom good lens. It works well for travel in most cases, but would be lacking for many as it only has a 1" sensor. I have been looking to micro 4/3 or APS-C format, am not really interested in getting into the price of lenses that are needed for some uses. I can still dream, but allow myself the luxury of not carrying a lot of gear. I like to peruse the galleries of dpreview of which I have posted some of my own shots, and I really do find a lot of great eye candy in the way of lenses, and cameras. I believe it to be a great place to research most things photography.

best,

Pres

Thanks for that site-looks intresting since we are sideway on this thread 

My go to lens for most underwater work is the macro 105 mm F2.8 autofocus 

I also shoot a macro 60mm 2.8 autofocus 

Undewrwater shooting you have less choices than topside due to the housings I'm now in a full frame Nikon D800 presently (own two bodies) I bought these all used 

. I also have 3 older D 300s cropped sensor bodies with an older subal housing-

I own two DX cheap lenes for that likean DX 85mm

I shoot very little wide angle underwater unless I'm in the tropics.

Cold eastern Pacific water is always a bit dirty so its macro most of the time

I sold all myNikon F3s and f 5 bodies along with all those prime manual lens about 4-years ago.

I have found top of the line stuff holds some value over time .

Archived