New Shimpo Whisperquiet wheel head seems off center?

Melissa F.

15 minutes ago, Melissa F. said:

Could it be an electric problem on my end? My house is old and I’m sure the wires are equally as old. 

It could be, but you'd see it in other appliances as well.  Pretty rare to have line noise in your home that's strong enough to cause issues.  Plus it's a DC motor so any AC noise wouldn't make it to DC hopefully.

Not likely your power, if you are in the US.

You could always plug it in temporarily elsewhere just to be sure that particular receptacle is wired correctly. Those wheels have many poles in the motor and something we call mosfets as electrical switches that basically tell it when and how fast to rotate.

My guess is evenly split between defective motor or control board. Hopefully they will exchange easily as installing a control board is easy but if you have not done it before or are not accustomed to this work it can be quite a challenge.

If you need to replace the controller, it's usually just a matter of a few screws and slip-on wire connectors. If you take a picture of the old controller for reference  and/or label the wires, it's not very difficult. Plus you'll learn a little about how your wheel is put together.

On 2/24/2019 at 4:17 PM, Melissa F. said:

Hello friends. I recently purchased a brand new Shimpo Whisper Quiet wheel from Clay King. I am newer to pottery so I don’t know much about wheel mechanics and all that.

No matter what I do, I can’t get anything to center. There is ALWAYS a wobble. When I turn the wheel on, it almost sounds like the electricity is surging or something...it doesnt sound like it’s running completely smoothly. So I don’t know if it’s just me and I truly can’t center, if I’m not wedging the clay properly....or if it’s the wheel. At first I thought maybe my bats just weren’t tight enough so I tried throwing directly on the wheel head and I got the same result; a wobble. Even if I turn it on high speed with no clay I can hear a subtle “nuhnuhnuhnuhnuh” instead of one smooth ‘swooshing’ sound.

What should I do? I imagine this can be easily fixed by tightening something. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

call Shimpo and tell them your problem.

Hey all so just an update. I’ve been in contact with Clay King, who is in contact with Shimpo. I’ve sent Clay King the video as well as a recording of the wheel running without the wheel head or dust cover to show its not the wheel head but must be something internal. Waiting to hear back! Thanks again for all of your help, I’ll keep you guys posted. 

Hey all, Shimpo is sending me a new wheel. They said there is certainly something wrong with the motor. Really looking forward to seeing how my centering is on the new one to find out if it really was the wheel all along or me still learning how to center properly. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

interesting! that’s what my shimpo vl lite sounds like. it’s not the whisper, but it does have an oscillating quality to the sound that i have wondered about. i assumed it was fine or possibly caused by the very not level patio i’m working on. very helpful thread! thanks! 

On 9/26/2021 at 5:29 PM, Mark C. said:

The orginal OP has not visited site site 2019-you can send them a PM and see if they respond.

If you click on then name on on left yoiu can see all this info

Hi Mark! I’ve sent a dm but no reply. My shimpo RK3D makes the same noise and I wonder if anyone understood what was wrong with her wheel and why Shimpo sent her a new one? I’ve sent Shimpo an email with video and was told this is how it’s supposed to sound (but I’m not sure since others don’t make this sound). Can’t upload it here since the file is too big :( Thank you :)

The whirring sound seems to be the results of the brushes contacting the commutator in an uneven manner. cleaning the comutator might help in this instance with the whirring noise especially if the commutator is slightly out of round..

• 2 months later...

Archived