Woodley leach wheel head removal

Luitreth

I have just got hold of a Woodleys leach treadle wheel and am trying to get the wheel head off, seems to be seized on there, can anyone who has one of these confirm it should lift off the taper fit on the shaft and doesn't have any grub screws or mystery bolts that need to be undone? This before I give it a bit more of a clout with the lump hammer than I have already! many thanks

Yes I could do that but would need to dismantle the frame to get the shaft out, everything is turning free smooth and straight at the moment so I think I will adopt an if it ain't broke attitude for the time being. Just wanted to get it off so I could get the tray off and give everything a good clean, plus curiosity. Should probably not worry and just throw some pots on it, wait for something to genuinely go wrong! Thank you for the helpful replies.

Now I have ascertained that the only thing holding it on is friction and about thirty years of corrosion I will get it off when the time comes, probably a combination of penetrating fluid, heat and BF and I, many thanks all, I'll just use it for now!

Just an update on this, curiosity got the better of me and I have the head removed. Old school technology, played the blowlamp on it till it was well heated, couple of taps with a rubber mallet and a jiggle and off she came. Prior to that felt for all the world like it was welded on there.

Archived