Saggar and Raku Kiln Questions

nancylee

Hi,

Two questions, please:

- can I do a saggar in my regular electric kiln? I’m in a bind and can’t get it done at the studios I usually go to. AND

- has anyone tried the “top hat” electeic raku kilns? I’m looking to buy my own so I don’t have to depend on anyone else, cause that always screws me up. I already have a Skutt kiln and the electric is in place already. 

Thanks much,

nancy

21 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Just get a gas raku kiln-

Electric raku kiln will be short lived animal .

Elements do not like reduction-period.

what I do know is that electric is not a good choice for raku kiln.

21 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Just get a gas raku kiln-

Electric raku kiln will be short lived animal .

Elements do not like reduction-period.

what I do know is that electric is not a good choice for raku kiln.

Thanks for the advice. I will do that. 

Nancy

I have instructions for making raku kilns. https://www.marciaselsorstudio.com/raku--latex-resist---making-raku-kilns.ht     I have a dvd from Acers/CAD regarding the potential firings of a raku kiln including: obvert, sagar and foil sagger firings. I enjoy the immediacy of the raku kilns and how many ways it can be used.https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/shop/raku-firing-with-marcia-selsor/  there are links on my website that have videos from this dvd.

I've done a couple saggar experiments using my gas kilns and in the end it's a very messy situation. Hardly worth the effort.

In an electric kiln there's more to loose...

Best bet if you have the space make a simple outdoor kiln just for saggar as Marcia suggests.

I use a cut down (12" trimmed off the top) of a 50 gallon drum, brick line bottom, and a hole for the burner. I use a Red Dragon weedburner and a propane tank.

For the lid,  top of the barrel with a 5" hole for a flue. Lined with 2" of fiber blanket wired on with high temp wire and ceramic buttons, and done.

Simple easy. Reaches temp in two hours going slow to save your saggars. I just use red clay pots as saggars.

Saggars make a lot smoke and o-zone. You want it outside and down wind from your home.

IMG_3238-XL.jpgIMG_3398-XL.jpg

On 10/19/2018 at 10:12 PM, Marcia Selsor said:

I have instructions for making raku kilns. https://www.marciaselsorstudio.com/raku--latex-resist---making-raku-kilns.ht     I have a dvd from Acers/CAD regarding the potential firings of a raku kiln including: obvert, sagar and foil sagger firings. I enjoy the immediacy of the raku kilns and how many ways it can be used.https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/shop/raku-firing-with-marcia-selsor/  there are links on my website that have videos from this dvd.

Thank you for this!!! 

Nancy

On 10/22/2018 at 2:35 PM, Rex Johnson said:

I've done a couple saggar experiments using my gas kilns and in the end it's a very messy situation. Hardly worth the effort.

In an electric kiln there's more to loose...

Best bet if you have the space make a simple outdoor kiln just for saggar as Marcia suggests.

I use a cut down (12" trimmed off the top) of a 50 gallon drum, brick line bottom, and a hole for the burner. I use a Red Dragon weedburner and a propane tank.

For the lid,  top of the barrel with a 5" hole for a flue. Lined with 2" of fiber blanket wired on with high temp wire and ceramic buttons, and done.

Simple easy. Reaches temp in two hours going slow to save your saggars. I just use red clay pots as saggars.

Saggars make a lot smoke and o-zone. You want it outside and down wind from your home.

IMG_3238-XL.jpgIMG_3398-XL.jpg

Wow!! That’s cool! I was thinking of wood if I used a barrel but I need to get a glue cut in the top of a barrel I have. Thanks,

nancy

Yeah, Raku kilns are fairly easy to construct, and you can do it yourself for a fraction of the price of buying one.  Plus, if you end up not liking the results, or process in general, you aren't stuck with a kiln you would never use, that cost you a good chunk of money.  

54 minutes ago, Magnolia Mud Research said:

my first Raku kiln was a propane BBQ grill with charcoal briquettes added as fuel; tumble stacked the pots in the charcoal.    The grill work fine cooking burgers in aluminum foil ;  therefore:  should also work fine 'cooking' pots in foil saggars.  

LT

Unless it's multiple layers of heavy duty foil for the saggar, you'll probably burn off the foil at Raku temps...

Nancy,

You'll need to cut 2 holes, one for the flue and one for the burner port. Also need to cut the barrel top off about 3-4 inches depending on how much fiber blanket you use.

It's easy enough if you have a drill and a sabersaw. Drill a large enough hole for your saw blade to go thru and make the cut. On the lid it helps to measure and draw a line with a marker around the circumference as a guide.

So one cut for the lid, one cut for the 5-6" diameter flue in the lid, and one cut at the bottom for the burner about 4" diameter.

Archived