Preparing for first pop-up sale -advice on quantities?

Hello All,

I'm preparing for my first two pop-sales/art fairs, they are two weeks apart. I have no clue how many pieces to make for inventory. Since the sales are two weeks apart I don't really have time to restock in between. I know there must be a bazillion variables but I'm hoping for some ballpark wisdom on number of items I should have. My price-point is $25 to $125, I make functional wares (small bowls, large bowls, trays, vases, pour-overs, plates)

Any advice on how much stock to have would be much appreciated. Thank you!

If these are your first sales ever, the answer is "produce and pack as much as you can." The answer is different for everyone, and there's no way to know the right answer when you're just starting out. The answers will reveal themselves over time. 

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

Mea said it best.  Your first show will be your test.  You will have things left from that show that you can stock in the 2nd show.  I usually have work that is bisque but not glazed in between shows, so I can have a  few glaze loads in that two week time.  And simply take as much as you possibly can so that you see what appeals to your customers.  Make certain to engage in conversation about your work, customers will give you insight as well.    Have a great time!!

Roberta

The first ones are definitely best described as a random guess!

While you're at the shows, make sure you pay attention to the shoppers, and make some observations about who they are and what they're buying. Start getting to know your customers and what they're interested in, and go from there. The first shows are best looked at as market research. 

Thanks to all of you for the input as I am starting the process of building inventory to sell at a local Farmers market which is open every Saturday and allows crafters to sell their wares. The cost of the booth is only $30, so just a few sales will make it worthwhile. I was able to sell some of my pottery at my roadside stand over the summer and feel that I can do fairly well at the Farmers market if I give it a shot.

JohnnyK

having sold lots of pots over lots of years, i still do not know what to take.    saturday's sale was wonderfully profitable.  sold lots of big items as gifts but the real money maker was the basket of items that were under $10 and the smaller things at $16 and $19.   

next sale, i plan to have my camera ready and ask people to hold their purchase and smile.   maybe i can pinpoint the most popular item that way.  i make a lot of things and some will probably never sell but they add color and variety to the booth.   (sold the ugly fish this time just minutes after i offered it to my helper because she liked it.  she had it in her hands when a couple returned and asked for it.  there is no way to tell what will sell.)

there is no way to tell what will sell.)

well thats true to some extant-things that  all folks use tend to be always popular like mugs-spoonrests-spongeholders-bowls-the things that get used daily are always a good bet. If I had one item only it would be a mug for sale.

ditto on the spoon rest. You can often pay your booth fee with spoon rest sales if you keep the price down and they are supper easy to make in  large quantities. Its that $5-$6 grab if they don't see something more pricey but want to support you.

be sure and come back and tell us how the two shows went. Have fun!   

Archived