Looking for a cone 6 grey glossy glaze recipe

Marge

Grey is difficult without a stain for food safe, but you may find combinations of cobalt and iron, or Manganese (toxic). Most often you will end up with a cool(blue) grey color. Depending on what your needs are, the stain as Min says is the best answer.

best,

Pres

In order to make a grey... I was going to add 6-10% of either 6500 or 6523 Mason stain to a cone 6 White Liner glaze recipe.  It already has 9g zircopax. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've read that those Mason stains may produce a grey? And not sure about those percentages... I know that I was looking for a gloss and that this White Liner is opaque. I've never used a clear cone 6 glaze, is there one that you like?

Thanks a bunch!

@Marge, does the White Liner glaze fit your clay? No crazing with the 9 zircopax? If it does and you want a clear gloss to add the stain to you can omit the zircopax. Zircopax does contain silica so if the glaze that is free of it does craze then you will need to add an equivalent amount of silica to what you have removed by omitting the zircopax. (other reasons why zircopax reduces crazing but I won't get into that here) Glazes are like clothing for the pots, what fits my pots won't necessarily fit your pots. Finding a good clear that works with your clay is really helpful in creating other glazes.

re stains, 6-10% is an awful lot of stain for a glaze, don't think you will need that much. I don't know how dark a gray you are looking for but the pot below has 2% Mason 6506 Pearl in a clear glaze on white clay.

To see how much you need I would suggest mixing up 100 grams of a base glaze and add 2 grams of stain. Dip a test tile with 1 and 2 dips. Add another 2 grams of stain and repeat. Keep going up to a total of 10 grams of stain. You will get a graduated colour test of 2,4,6,8 and 10% of stain. It won't be super accurate since each time you dip a tile you are removing some of the 100 grams of base glaze but it will get you in the ballpark.

There are many other shades of gray that have been discontinued from Mason but lots of suppliers still have back inventory of quite a few of them. Mason also published the recipes for mixing those discontinued stains. One other thing about using stains, the base glaze has an effect on how the colour turns out. There is a reference page that lists what the base should or shouldn't contain etc here.

gbowl.jpg.fc9082ac6b63815602a4170d33f9eab4.jpg

You will have fit issues if you use a cone 6 glaze on a cone 10 clay body, and you will have further issues because the clay won't be mature at cone 6. It will make your pots less durable, and you will likely find that they weep.  Bmix does have a cone 6 version. Switch to that if you don't have access to cone 10 firing. It'll prevent a LOT of headaches.

18 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

You will have fit issues if you use a cone 6 glaze on a cone 10 clay body, and you will have further issues because the clay won't be mature at cone 6. It will make your pots less durable, and you will likely find that they weep.  Bmix does have a cone 6 version. Switch to that if you don't have access to cone 10 firing. It'll prevent a LOT of headaches.

Appreciate that input, so I won't proceed because I don't want to hijack this thread.

Archived