Brent Wheel not turning on

Mia G.

Hi there,

I have been storing someone's wheel in my detached garage for about a year without use. I plugged it in to use it recently, and it's not turning on or giving any indications of life (no light on switch, no sounds, etc.) . It's a Brent model C, and about 20 years old, but has never had this issue before and has always been stored in garages, with extended periods of non-use. My thought is that maybe something was jostled in the move a year ago? Where do I start with checking for things that might be disconnected??

any and all suggestions appreciated. 

Thanks!

Check the fuze 1st-its on the back of the controller in the newer models and the front of the controller in older models. It's a glass fuze 8 amp if I recall.

As note above make sure the outlet is hot/live 1st.

Let us know the fuze results-the glass fuze will show you if its good or not by the wire inside being either intact or burnt/blown(not intact)

Jostling should have zero impact.

{ Check the fuze 1st-its on the back of the controller in the newer models and the front of the controller in older models. It's a glass fuze 8 amp if I recall. }

What will it look like if the fuse is still good/bad? I know absolutely nothing about this.. Here's a photo of the fuse

Z.jpg

258830070_9k-1.jpg.57f7b82780cb00d3be865784681a63b8.jpg918561648_2Q.jpg.e3174016bb24df03f2e41f06f0014349.jpg186453243_9k.jpg.640f02a80ee2f69e3d87a54caef018d6.jpg

nothing appears fried, and nothing stands out to me as being out of place. plugged in again after checking all of this, and still no sign of life.

That fuse looks strange. Every glass tube fuse I've ever seen is clear glass with a wire running through the center. If the wire is intact, the fuse is good. If the wire has split, the fuse is blown. Usually when the fuse blows it also leaves the glass a little cloudy/dusty on the inside of the tube.... but not opaque. Is there a wrap on this fuse?

2 minutes ago, Chris Throws Pots said:

That fuse looks strange. Every glass tube fuse I've ever seen is clear glass with a wire running through the center. If the wire is intact, the fuse is good. If the wire has split, the fuse is blown. Usually when the fuse blows it also leaves the glass a little cloudy/dusty on the inside of the tube.... but not opaque. Is there a wrap on this fuse?

It seems to be coated in something opaque. 

That is an original Brent fuze-you can view them here

https://www.amaco.com/t/parts/brent/wheel-fuses

Heres the deal-you can read on the end the fuze values-it with say 250 on one end and on the other it should list the amps-this is the metal ends and its very small text.Let us know what it says??(My guess is 8amp). That will determine the fuze size. Its a slow blow meaning it will take some extra juice to blow this fuze-they are more heavy duty than regular fuzes.

You can either replace it _(I suggest not buying from Brent as they are way overpriced)go to a real electronics store for the right size.

Before you do any of this you need to check that fuze for continuity  which will tell you it either good or bad. You will NEED and OHM meter for this simple test or they can check it at a real electronics store for you.If it has Ohms passing thru it and the value is not zero its good and does not need replacing.

sorry for the slow delay as we are washing all house and studio windows today-big job

My old BrentC's fuse has a sneaky habit of not seating quite correctly and it sometimes pops out or works its way out with vibration. Have you tried  pressing in and/or wiggling the fuse while it's plugged in? I resorted to an often-replaced strap of blue tape to keep it in. Mine's right by the switch. 

41 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

My old BrentC's fuse has a sneaky habit of not seating quite correctly and it sometimes pops out or works its way out with vibration. Have you tried  pressing in and/or wiggling the fuse while it's plugged in? I resorted to an often-replaced strap of blue tape to keep it in. Mine's right by the switch. 

I've had to replace fuse holders on several wheels. Those are cheap parts, too. If it's a chronic problem it would be worth the investment.

Archived