QotW: I'm curious if anyone else uses "Kiln Gods" or Gremlins when firing their kiln?

Yappystudent recently asked a question that brings up old memories:  I'm curious if anyone else uses "Kiln Gods" or Gremlins when firing their kiln.

I can remember in undergrad school the professor having us make kiln gods to tame the fire and chaos of the gas kiln. We did all sorts of crazy gods and put them on the top of the kiln as offerings. .. . firing went all right as expected as the prof fired it. My first few years of teaching I did kiln gods with the students, and then I let things die a death that seemed natural as I was firing electric! However, at the last NCECA, I saw the really cool peep hole creatures, and I know that if I were still teaching I would have everyone make one of them they are so Cool!

Peep Hole creatures_objects.jpg

best,

Pres

• Pres featured and pinned this topic

We always had "Clay Gods" or "Kiln Gods" tucked into corners, on shelves, near kilns, etc. when I was at Herron.  To continue the tradition, I have one in my studio sitting on a shelf overlooking a space where I work, as well as the kilns.  When I look at her it brings back fond memories.  Pres, those peep hole creatures are very neat....like them!!

TY for posting my question and I've never seen decorated kiln plugs, neat idea :)

Thought of this while trying to decide what I'd like to make the kiln goddess for my -still nameless- new kiln. Lots of bits and bobs around I could use but nothing seems to fit until I come up with a name first. I'll probably make a little figure of some sort that won't take up much shelf room. Back in the day my boss used his kiln god until it was burnt and unrecognizable, although it was pretty funky in the first place, then would replace it with a new one when it started falling apart. They always went inside the kiln and he was very particular about it. 

Edited by yappystudent

Well, my kiln has been pretty good to me so far (touch wood), so I haven’t had to resort to any pagan prayers yet. But I’ve known one or two potters that made their cone packs into various weird critters, sea monsters and dragons. This is one from a friend of mine in college, and he sits on a shelf with a number of other little treasures. Now that I think of it, they could be good additions to fairy gardens. 

F514D650-E659-40E5-A48A-3457CC428BA7.jpeg

When I was in college they made a new one for every firing and then the fire gods sat around on top of the gas kilns.   So some reason I connect them to gas or wood firing,  I fire electric and have never made the connection.   Denice

• Pres unpinned this topic