Copied Images

The second image, should be much harder to wash in any editor. However with the new tools, no image is safe. It just means that the thief has to decide if their time is worth it. IN most cases they will judge not, as there are too many images out there to choose from that are not protected.  Do I protect my own. . . no.

best,

Pres

Thanks Pres. I can't see putting my name right across my pots and the little watermark in the corner seems next to useless. Just have to hope there are more decent people in the world than ones like the woman I had the misfortune to deal with. :wacko:

I think people no longer understand what they are allowed to photograph and what not, which images they can use in their own work (like putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa) and what not, what they can copy and sell as their own and what not, and generally what it means for something to be, or not be, in the public domain.

I used to participate on an art site in which people often posed questions like: "Can I copy paintings of Superman (or Totoro or Clark Gable or whoever) and sell it?"

People just don't know.

Three years ago David Taylor of David Taylor Quilts presented an afternoon workshop on asking or paying for permission to use someone's photo for your work. He also discussed the taking of photos of certain things then selling those photos (photographers) such as photos of objects that have someone's name on them or certain business signs or hot air balloons with advertising on them (list goes on and on)  His advice was if in doubt, ask.  In his case, he uses photos as the basis of his quilts.  He always contacts the photographer and asks to buy it or to give a percentage of the sale of the quilt to the photographer.  Many times they simply give permission to use the photo, but he stressed the importance of always being above board and making contact.  Many of the younger photographers in the group were surprised by that.  I feel that our constantly changing visual world with a camera (phone) in everyone's hand has opened doors none of us expected.  I too, have had people ask permission to take photos of my work.  I will remember to ask if they are a potter!!  

Roberta

At shows it used to be folks always asked about taking photos of my work nowadays I see folks taking photos of everything including my work without a word.Sign of the times-

My thought is -you do not know where the photos go and to what purpose .

China knock offs used to be the thing now it may be to put on instagram?Or try to copy form at home-who knows

I do know it will take a few decades to get the look right

I'm not uptight about it-lifes to short

This addresses this issue:

https://petapixel.com/2013/08/03/10-bogus-excuses-people-use-when-they-steal-photos-from-the-web/

No they can't do it but note what the author concludes:

"All of that being said… Is it possible to police the web and stop every copyright infringement? No. It is technologically impossible to stop someone from lifting your photos, and I would need three lives to sue every infringer of my images. "

The legal expense of stopping such is usually prohibitive for most small businesses.

It's a very unprofessional move to use your pictures.  Sort of says something about the show, if there are no pictures from exhibitors  that the promoter finds worthy of using.   I just can't see why you would post and have buyers go there most likely looking for the merchandise they saw on FB.  I would think the light it throws on the promoter's image would be enough reason for them NOT to do it.

Archived