How To Glaze Cone 5 Bisque-From A Newbie

HELP!  I screwed up my bisque firing and fired at cone 5 instead of 05.  Major button pushing error.  Can I still glaze my pieces and fire them at cone 5 again?  Any suggestions of how to make the glaze stick to the bisque since it is so no porous?  Thanks for any help.

you can warm the pots just before applying glaze and it should work fine.    that depends on how you apply the glaze, spraying is best.  i cannot imagine how you would brush glaze on hot pots, the brush will stick instantly.

find a warm spot that will raise the temp of the bisque just warm enough for you to almost say "ouch" when you touch it, not really hot.

Sumopanda

I did the same thing a few weeks ago, not a slip of the finger though, I was just plain dumb.

I tried the heat and spray Old Lady uses but it only worked on about 1 and 1/2 pots. I haven't tossed

them out yet but I probable will, their taking up too much space.

let us know how it works out.

Graybeard

• 2 weeks later...

Glaze them. Let them dry completely. Then glaze them again. Spraying would be best, but if you can't do that use a heavily loaded brush to daub the glaze on. For the second coat, just touch the brush to the surface.  Don't rub it against the pot or you will wipe away the dry layer you are trying to add to.

Or see if you can get them in a wood fire, or salt/soda kiln somewhere. Just glaze the insides and let the atmosphere and ash or salt seal them for you.

Archived