#41 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

Well Joseph, after reading this thread I decided to whip up a batch of black porcelain.

Black clay with temmoku

Left the bottom unglazed for visual reference of the clay.

Black Clay with crystalline glaze.

My personal favorite: crystalline on top bleeding into clear gloss on the bottom.

Nerd

#42 Joseph F

Joseph F

Always Experimenting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

Haha. I too hope to be a mad chemist and clay engineer one day. = ) those crystals are beautiful.

Planning on using this stuff in the future? Nice work!

#43 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,260 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

SiO2,com is from Spain , just outside Barcelona. If you visit there , you will see a mural by the Diagonal group where Evelyne and I participated with 9 others in a symposium last year. I have jpgs of Corrie Bain working on with the Black ice making the Buncheong technique when she taught a session with the Potters Council trip to Barcelona last April.

http://community.cer...4154-buncheong/
Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#44 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:47 PM

Joseph:

My supplier and I were talking about you and your black clay today. Apparently the Rep for Sio2 in America is making their rounds trying to sell black clay: one of many specialty bodies they produce. I pulled up this thread in his shop and showed him your results and mine. He has asked me about making specialty clays before, guess I never took him seriously. So I will be back over there next weekend bringing him a box of black clay to play with.

Nerd

#45 Joseph F

Joseph F

Always Experimenting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

Interesting. Congrats nerd. Seems like you might have just found your first outlet for sales of clay. 

As far as the Black Ice goes. I still haven't been able to get my hands on any more. I ordered it from my supplier on the 1st and I am still waiting on it. I am presuming this week it will be in. I am about ready to throw in the towel on the process. If I have to wait months to get my hands on more each time I run out then it just isn't something I am interested in.

We will see how it goes. Keep us posted on any good results you get with your black clay stuff Nerd.

#46 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

Joseph:

I look at clay the same way you look at glaze: what can be done to make it more texturally appealing. Personally, I think it's possible to make clay do a host of things never attempted before. Glazes leech materials from clay: and that is the basis of my chemistry. I can make a clay that accelerates glaze run or hinders it. Right now I am working on a clay body that bleeds color randomly: beats having to color it. I have a bubble bowl I need to take a picture of and post it. The bubbles did not come from the glaze, but bleed up from the clay. Lots of things are possible, just have to believe they can be achieved.

Nerd

#47 Joseph F

Joseph F

Always Experimenting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

Lots of things are possible, just have to believe they can be achieved.

This is how I feel deeply about ceramics. I have stopped testing glazes as much as I have been just randomly applying things to my clay body and my glazed pots. I have been making flat bowls and glazing them with a white glaze then just sprinkling ingredients into the glaze. So far a lot of interesting things.

One of the next things I want to try is a titanium slip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users