Was just about to ask you what " Bungeon" was after your tip on keeping the stamps in foam.

My leatherstamping stamps came in a box with foam pierced to hold the stamps. haven't lost a piece and so easy to see the stamps without fumbling in boxes.

• 1 month later...

bisqued my new stamps yesterday and plan to do some stamping today.

I will need to do more throwing to fill a bisque for the right temperature since I have raku slabs, tiles and then some TS pots for 08 bisque. Too many different things going on at the same time.

Marcia

I think the second way may be correct. It is not as easy as Corrie made it look. But it is interesting.

Not sure I am interested in getting too involved with it. But I am glad to give it a go. Not something I have done before.As always in clay, timing is everything.

Marcia

Learned a lot today by my failures.

1.the leather hard state is important

2.my stamps need to have a deeper imprint-no ridges on the edge.

3.my stamps need softer edges close to the pattern

4. if you start scraping too early , some of the dark clay can smear into the imprint

5. the clay for the stamp should not be too soft when carving

Try again.

here is the best one for the day but needs to be cleaned up.It is too damp to clean up any further.

post-1954-0-56630100-1466894317_thumb.jpg

Marcia

post-1954-0-56630100-1466894317_thumb.jpg

Soft leather hard or hard leather hard? I saw that your teacher had grooves and quite a rough texture in the plate she was holding. Does the white inlay have any specific qualities? To fit with the body clay?

You know something Marcia: you know when you are looking at art when it stirs the emotions. Had these same feelings the first time I looked out over the Grand Canyon, saw Old Faithful erupt, and walked through Meramac Caverns.Absolutely stunning work by masters of the trade. TY for sharing.

Nerd

Wait!! Need to live up to my Glazenerd monkler- the refractive index on the last piece is off the charts. Whew!!.. Now I feel all nerdy.

Soft leather hard or hard leather hard? I saw that your teacher had grooves and quite a rough texture in the plate she was holding. Does the white inlay have any specific qualities? To fit with the body clay?

Babs,

It wasn't rough clay she was working on, it was soft leather hard and the edges plowed up. Not much grog in it at all.

Marcia

Marcia is it Cassius Basaltic - Aardvark's ^5 clay? I love that clay body. it is so smooth and buttery. Wonder if they named it after Muhammad Ali. 

are you going to glaze that piece? 

i love Buncheong. I discovered it in my first semester and always end up making something after sgraffito each semester. havent made a stamp yet. this time i am going to try different coloured slips we have at our school studio (mason stains) and see what happens with raku. i struggle with moisture in clay to scrape off. i've discovered if i cheat and do bigger and deeper lines it makes it easier to scrape off. 

i love that video. i keep looking at the tools they used to carve.

glazenerd do you mean the 'shininess' when you talk about the  "refractive index"? i have a vague idea of what refractive index means. 

oldlady here is a lecture series that might have the word you are looking for. in some korean books i've actually seen the word puncheong. i dont have headphones right now so dont remember how they pronounced it in the lecture. all i know is i enjoyed it. (a big history buff here) the essays in the catalogue were wonderful to read. 

i've seen a few pieces IRL at the Asian Museum in San Francisco. Sooo moving. just the origin story behind buncheong is so fascinating. 

glazenerd do you mean the 'shininess' when you talk about the  "refractive index"?

Preeta;

When you look in a mirror it reflects: so shininess is more the reflection of light.

Refractive means it is bending the light as it passes through the glaze. If you noticed, all the pieces are glazed green in Marcia's video. As he turns them the color changes at time, and towards the end one piece seems to shimmer like a crystal. The glaze is refracting/bending the light and making it appear as a different color or sheen.

Nerd

glazenerd wrote: As he turns them the color changes at time, and towards the end one piece seems to shimmer like a crystal.

Could you give me a time into the video for this effect? [Remembering I can only view the utube one referenced in post 18.]

At first glance all I seem to be seeing is quite a lot of specular reflection.

Archived