#41 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:14 AM

joseph, your plates remind me of the Arabia plates i saw at Scan many, many years ago.  the stacking was done with precision engineering of rim and foot to allow easy pick-up of stacked plates.  maybe you can see them somewhere online, maybe ebay.  

saki, a slump mold will allow you more options than a hump mold.  most things on a hump have to be removed before the shrinkage forces the plate to crack from stress.  so you have to be alert to the condition of the drying plate.   a slump mold can sit around for a long time without causing a problem because the shrinkage is within the confines of the mold.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#42 Chilly

Chilly

those who know, teach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:58 AM

I have a really hard time liking plates with the inch or so of flat wasted space on the edge. I never understood why someone wants a 10 inch plate with 2 inches being useless. 

My Denby plates are similar to yours, and they are OK to pick up, even when very hot and I have to use bulky oven gloves.  They have a double foot ring, outer edge and and inner ring.

And they stack well too.

gallery_59202_704_69634.png

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#43 Joseph F

Joseph F

Always Experimenting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

Awesome stuff peoples. Thanks for all the tips and ideas. I haven't in fact measured my dishwasher!

#44 Joseph F

Joseph F

Always Experimenting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:53 PM

Just an update. The first of the three plates I made has popped loose form the hydro bat. I tried drying them in different sections in my greenhouse wracks. This was on the bottom with the zipper not zipped. So it got the most airflow around it. I figured I would try drying them differently to see if it made any difference in the hydro bat performance. 

The others are still not loose. 

http://josephfirebor...0312_213036.jpg

I put the greenware on the bathroom counter-top and it didn't rock at all. It also seems to come lose from the hydrobat at the proper time to trim because I was able to smooth and trim the edges on the bottom slightly at nearly the perfect trimming time. Which I thought was impressive. Also the top and the bottom side seemed to be the same wetness, which made me happy. Two big thumbs up for the hydrobats. Thanks for the recommendation.

Looking at this plate is daunting though. So much room for beautiful artwork.

I just wanted to post this to give an update. The next one will be glazed plates.

#45 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:36 AM

WHOOHOO4YOUOOOO! :)    WHY ISN'T THERE A THUMBS-UP SOMEWHERE?

"putting you down does not raise me up."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users