Do You Give Your Work As Holiday Gifts?

For many years I made a special Christmas pot for my wife, marked with the date and some sappy sentiment.  She still uses those pots frequently, and on the occasions when one broke it usually made her cry.

As an example, one year i made her a porcelain teapot, and had our youngest son dip his hands in blue slip and apply them to the sides of the piece.  I expect she'll want to keep it for a while.

Right now I'm inflicting pottery gifts on anyone insufficiently wary, since I'm attempting to clear out a bunch of older works that are cluttering up the house.  So far no one has seemed ungrateful, but they might just be trying to be nice.

Nice pot Ray!  I would think anyone would be thrilled to get a piece of your work as a gift!!!  How's that Amazon thing working out for you?  Lovely pictures on there, btw.

Roberta

In the past I've been wary of giving pottery as gifts but one or two friends have expressed a liking for my work so they might end up regretting saying that!

As I've just set up myself with a home studio for the first time and just done my first ever firing which was full of test tiles I thought I'd include some humourous little Christmas novelties to surprise them with. This was I suppose in some way an offering to the kiln gods on my first firing -it's not my usual type of work and was on new untested glazes but hey, why not have a bit of fun:

Christmas Turkeys (2.5cm) 

(or are they Goose, Grouse, Vulture & Dodo?)

post-72039-0-73317500-1450222261_thumb.png

post-72039-0-73317500-1450222261_thumb.png

I made 40 or so personalized mugs for some of my coworkers this year. Who doesn't like something with their name on it. They loved them. Many want to purchase my wares now. Many did not know I do pottery. I guess if I was a full time potter I would not gift as many since it is my livelihood. My buddy is a plumber and would help me landscape, paint, wrench on cars; but when it comes to plumbing I get charged just like the rest. here are couple pics.

post-66695-0-27017200-1450388557_thumb.jpg

post-66695-0-50969500-1450388558_thumb.jpg

post-66695-0-27017200-1450388557_thumb.jpg

post-66695-0-50969500-1450388558_thumb.jpg

I made 40 or so personalized mugs for some of my coworkers this year. Who doesn't like something with their name on it. They loved them. Many want to purchase my wares now. Many did not know I do pottery. I guess if I was a full time potter I would not gift as many since it is my livelihood. My buddy is a plumber and would help me landscape, paint, wrench on cars; but when it comes to plumbing I get charged just like the rest. here are couple pics.

Wow! That must have taken you ages! They look great. I'm making mugs too, I thought 16 was alot! 

Of course! Last year and this year, my family and coworkers are getting pottery gifts. I asked what they want, generally, though this year they'll have a choice from a pile of stuff. One coworker has even commissioned cookie jars (and paid nicely for them). As a hobby potter who needs the practice, I use the 'gift pieces' as a way to improve my technique and test glazes. Last year I made 10 bowls for centerpieces (work meeting) and got a new paying client out of it to boot. It works for me!

If I do it is accompanied with something else. I have given a mug with a gift card stuck inside. Or a soap dish I have made with a bar of handmade soap made by somebody else.  

This year I am making vases for my parents and my inlaws. The vase will have fingerprints from each of the grandchildren.  I was going to have my son glaze a mug for his teacher but he has been a bit of an this year to his teacher (he's 6) so I doubt she wants memorabelia made by him. 

My grandmother knitted every grandchild a pair of slippers every Christmas. She died about 20 years ago. The extra pairs of slippers lasted 2-3 years. We took the gifts for granted when we had them. Now, I'd love to have a pair.

You can only gift so many mugs before the family and friend list is saturated. The mugs at that point are like my grandmother's slippers....not fully appeciated until they are not available.

Jed

Archived