Kiln Controller

Babs

my new kiln has jusr been delivered, not out of the bubblewrap yet. However as my supplier was also squeezing in some underglaze I was waiting for , I took out a couple of little boxes from under the kiln.

I had ordered a kiln with a Harco controller attached to the kiln. there was a choice of controller a Harco or SHi something.

In one of the boxes there was a free standing, well it isn't attached, but 4 pronged plug Stafford controller...

Now before I ring the dealer, does anyone know both to compare the quality for me?

On the outside of the bubblewrap is the label...kiln with Stafford Controller...

I live on an Island, I have left the delivery of this kiln for a few weeks as I was

away initially and then up to my eyeballs with no time to prepare for the delivery.

From factory to dealer then to me on Island, nearly $1000 freight so....

Advice on the quality of the cocntrollers would be good.

Advice on whether to go further with this would be good.

Harco Type r thermocouple, over $2000 here, but haven't isolated the price from the quote yet, but in that ballpark.

Babs, bit anxious about the whole thing..

Not contacted by factory or dealer re. different controller to what was ordered.

Chilly, ST315B here even though they sent the manual for ST315A.

Haven't read up on this or been able to contact factory people yet.. Can you fire up and down? Can you pause without stopping the firing  and enter new data at any time during the programme entered? Seem to be able to do this with Harco if you're lucky enough to have received  what you purchased.

Harco seems to relate numbers entered to cones, ST doesn't seem to have that discernment.

Still need to purchase a separate timer/sitter for this kiln.

Sorry to go on but disappointed with the dilemma.

I think if I pusjh for  it, the Harco plug will not fit into the Staffordshire socket in the Kiln...

Haven't read up on this or been able to contact factory people yet.. Can you fire up and down? Can you pause without stopping the firing  and enter new data at any time during the programme entered? Seem to be able to do this with Harco if you're lucky enough to have received  what you purchased.

Harco seems to relate numbers entered to cones, ST doesn't seem to have that discernment.

I think if I pusjh for  it, the Harco plug will not fit into the Staffordshire socket in the Kiln...

Hi Babs

I've looked up but can't find any reference to a B model.  My User Handbook only says it is a ST315.  Looking on the web, all current models seem to be As, with 312 - 316 and difference being number of steps.

From memory, and then checking the handbook, the answers to your questions are:

Can you fire up and down?    -   YES

Can you pause without stopping the firing    -   YES

and enter new data at any time during the programme entered   -   YES

Harco seems to relate numbers entered to cones, ST doesn't seem to have that discernment    -    TEMPERATURES ONLY

separate timer/sitter for this kiln   -    WHY?

Staffordshire socket   -   MINE IS HARD WIRED

Good Luck

Purely web browsing...

In the UK Potterycrafts advertise the ST315, but in the associated video the controller is clearly marked ST315A

It looks like the manufacturer's web site is at http://staffordinstruments.co.uk/

and I cannot find any references to a ST315B on it. Although it does mention cable options.

The web page for the ST315A seems to be http://staffordinstruments.mybigcommerce.com/st315a-kiln-temperature-controller/

and it contains downloads for the Datasheet, User Manual and Installation Instructions. You might want to look at the bottom RH

corner of p3 of the Installation Instructions, as it mentions a a yellow warning label which the indicates factory configuration options.

BTW a ST315B is advertised here, but I didn't notice any differences mentioned.

http://www.ulsterceramicspotterysupplies.co.uk/catalog2/product_info.php/code-7421-st315b-stafford-controller-p-1944

I have seen pictures where the case clearly shows ST315, and others where it shows ST315A. Does yours show 315B?

Hi Babs

I've looked up but can't find any reference to a B model.  My User Handbook only says it is a ST315.  Looking on the web, all current models seem to be As, with 312 - 316 and difference being number of steps.

From memory, and then checking the handbook, the answers to your questions are:

Can you fire up and down?    -   YES

Can you pause without stopping the firing    -   YES

and enter new data at any time during the programme entered   -   YES

Harco seems to relate numbers entered to cones, ST doesn't seem to have that discernment    -    TEMPERATURES ONLY

separate timer/sitter for this kiln   -    WHY?

Staffordshire socket   -   MINE IS HARD WIRED

Good Luck

chilly thanks, I want a timer/sitter to cut out in the case that the programmer fails to do so. I.e If I know my firing takes 10 hours, I would normally set my timer to 1o.5hours so the kiln will be shut down even if the programmer/sitter were to malfunction.

The ST315B  plugs in to a 4 pronged socket... maybe this is where the B comes in.

Goes without saying I ordered a programmer which was hardwired in.

Purely web browsing...

In the UK Potterycrafts advertise the ST315, but in the associated video the controller is clearly marked ST315A

It looks like the manufacturer's web site is at http://staffordinstruments.co.uk/

and I cannot find any references to a ST315B on it. Although it does mention cable options.

The web page for the ST315A seems to be http://staffordinstruments.mybigcommerce.com/st315a-kiln-temperature-controller/

and it contains downloads for the Datasheet, User Manual and Installation Instructions. You might want to look at the bottom RH

corner of p3 of the Installation Instructions, as it mentions a a yellow warning label which the indicates factory configuration options.

BTW a ST315B is advertised here, but I didn't notice any differences mentioned.

http://www.ulsterceramicspotterysupplies.co.uk/catalog2/product_info.php/code-7421-st315b-stafford-controller-p-1944

I have seen pictures where the case clearly shows ST315, and others where it shows ST315A. Does yours show 315B?

Thanks so much.

It clearly states ST315B , and from reading your post, I think it is perhaps the cable option, which of course I did not order.

I guess I'll get used to anything...... Wondering in the quality difference between the HARCO and the Stafford.

Can contact the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks so much.

Archived