Qotw: Do You Know Movies, Books, Poems Featuring Potters?

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite for years has been "Mud Woman" by Nora Naranjo-Morse.  Published by the University of Arizona Press 1992. It is a book of poetry by and about the Pueblo People in New Mexico and their love and respect for "Nan chu Kweejo"  ( Clay Mother) acknowledging her generous gifts to us.  [From the Preface.]  Donna

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this post from a new memeber, C.A. Martin, who sent a link to a trailer about a film:

Quote:

This is some information about that rare thing - a new film about ceramics :)

We're been working on 'Out of the Tub' these past few years which will be premiering it in November in London.

The film focuses on the life and work of the British Ceramist RJ 'Bob' Washington and sheds new light 20th century ceramics.

Here's the trailer 

Enjoy.

Unquote

Evelyne

evelyne, i tried that and found that there was no video within a reasonable time.  i remember all the spam we had and wonder if this is really a scam or spam.  a new member with a link to a long wait?  am i paranoid?

oldlady: I tried it out before posting here and it opend immediately. I just tried again and same result. The trailer is great. Beautiful pieces. I will send you the link in a p.m. again. Or go to youtube and look for the " Out of the Tub trailer" title there.

Rae: about the film title: Honi soit qui mal y pense ;)

Evelyne

Hello.

Interesting comments above, I had to laugh :) 

As Evelyne says 'Out of the Tub' is a real film about a potter and will premier in London this November.

The documentary's title is a reference to the Greek philosopher Diogenes, a guy, like Bob Washington, who had an unconventional life style. Bob himself made many references to Diogenes during his own lifetime.

I think Ceramic Review are running an article about the fllm in the Nov/Dec issue.

Best regards

Clive

Clive, thank you very much for the info. You must know that recently we had a mass of spam posts here in the forum every day, and we all are a bit mistrustful or rather sceptical. I am looking forward to the film very much! We appreciate you telling us about the film and posting the link! I will p.m. you with another question about the film.

Evelyne

not to be negative BUT ... What really irks me is when they want to show a character is flakey or easily dismissed, they use their love of pottery to prove it ... In one book I read the potter has been around for 50 years but nobody bothers to ask him what he saw or heard because he's the artsy potter right?

Not a film, but Ron Larsen's collection of essays and other writing related to pottery is well worth a read, if you can find it.

Ron's studio is just over the hill from our place in NY, but I think he might be doing more photography than pottery these days.

http://www.amazon.com/Potters-Companion-Imagination-Originality-Street/dp/0892814454/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437671404&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=ron+larsen+potter

Chris: is that a thriller you are refering too? I think potters in secondary roles, either in movies or in books, are always a bit decoration for the film or book. The expression of "pottering about" is soooo ambiguous.

rayaldridge: thank you very much for the tip and the link. This must be a really interesting read!

oldlady: I tried it out before posting here and it opend immediately. I just tried again and same result. The trailer is great. Beautiful pieces. I will send you the link in a p.m. again. Or go to youtube and look for the " Out of the Tub trailer" title there.

Rae: about the film title: Honi soit qui mal y pense ;)

Evelyne

Har!

Not a film, but Ron Larsen's collection of essays and other writing related to pottery is well worth a read, if you can find it.

Ron's studio is just over the hill from our place in NY, but I think he might be doing more photography than pottery these days.

http://www.amazon.com/Potters-Companion-Imagination-Originality-Street/dp/0892814454/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437671404&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=ron+larsen+potter

Just ordered their last copy on Amazon, more are due soon. Did we cause a run on Ron? Cool!

• 2 weeks later...

not to be negative BUT ... What really irks me is when they want to show a character is flakey or easily dismissed, they use their love of pottery to prove it ... In one book I read the potter has been around for 50 years but nobody bothers to ask him what he saw or heard because he's the artsy potter right?

I find that they do this in general with any artist type character as well as potters including writers or painters. It really seriously bugs me. 

In the Poirot episode Series 9, Episode 4: The Hollow one of the main characters sculpts in clay. It shows her working with clay in her studio several times, though I seem to remember in the book that she would sculpt a model in clay and then make the finished sculpture in wood or metal. Her work plays an important part in the solving of the mystery, but I won't spoil it. :) 

Thank you, thank you, Ray! This is a lovely book with so many articles and short stories that address the issues that we all enjoy discussing. A great book to open up at random and find information and inspiration. I was pleased to find such a wide variety of sources which include John Updike and Janwillem van de Wettering as well as M.C. Richards and Shoji Hamada. A good Companion.

• 2 weeks later...

Creative Review, Sept/Oct 2015

Only 86 days to go until the London premier of 'Out of the Tub' - the new documentary film about the late British ceramist R J 'Bob' Washington.

We are very pleased to get a mention in the latest edition of Ceramic Review (see photo).

The film sheds new light on Bob, a student of William Staite-Murray and Dora Billington, as well as the many issues which confronted 20th century British potters.

'Out of the Tub' artwork

Hello there Clive, I will write a small article in the News of the New Ceramics magazine too. It will be published in the 6/15 issue (November/December). Just in time.

If you are a Potters Council member, you can put a free (!) ad for the film into the newsletter Potters Pages! Do that! https://www.pubservice.com/cp/subnew.aspx?PC=PQ&PK=&FC=Or/and you can write an article about it yourself, also for the Potters Pages newsletter.

After seeing the film, I will write a longer article about it for the NC magazine.

All the best

Evelyne

Archived