#21 Benhim

Benhim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground Washington

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

I draw and take notes in small spiral bound art pads that fit in my pocket. They're really thick, but one can pry the spirals open and pull out half of the paper which makes it fit easily in my back pocket.

BenCo Ceramics

#22 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

In my studio I use a standard 8x11 sketch pad and I have a small one I keep in my car, I replaced the wire spine on one pad and inserted some lined notebook paper, I take this one to seminars so I can take notes. I always make sure I have a pencil, eraser and pencil sharpener with me, I can always find a scrap of paper to scribble an idea on. Denice

#23 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

Had to wait until the evening to reply to this one as I left my password at home.
I Always have a fine liner felt pen with me for drawing and writing. It's black ink. I never erase anything. I also do Sudoku in ink-living on the edge, man!
I grab any scrap of paper around-to write ideas on. I also write down glaze recipes to try. Kind of like writing down a favourite casserole recipe.
I am always on the look out for new forms ,colours,and glazes.
Last summer I was in Fargo, North Dakota in a liquor store buying a bottle of red wine. There was a great image of a fish on this wine bottle. I had no pen, no paper and neither did my wife. I couldn't draw the image and I didn't by that bottle of wine.Now the image haunts me.
TJR.put a sad face right here.
Oh, yeah. All the scraps of paper get put on my bedside table, and in the drawer. I have a huge 3 ring binder for glaze recipes too. It is jammed with show invites with glazes on the back.I can't help it. That's how I work.

#24 Dinah

Dinah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorth of Seattle, WA.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

I get a new workshop notebook (8"x11")each year. If there's not a page numbering system I take time to pen one in. That way any reference notes from the Kiln Log --pages also numbered -- can be accessed speedily and reverse is useful too. If I'm doing a complicated glaze layering on various pots I make thumb-nail sketches and detailed notes on order of glazes, wax, in-glaze effects,etc. as I go along. I also end up with a lot of post-it notes taped or glued in to augment some glaze test or sketch. I make lists. And like a lot of folks really enjoy ticking things off, or rewriting the list.
Dinah
www.DinahSnipesSteveni.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users