How Do I Best Use A De-Humidifier In My Studio?

We have really variable weather here, and I've invested in a small de-humidifier to help with drying ware in high humidity times.  I am wondering how much I can use the unit to hurry drying without having cracking, shrinkage, warping issues.  Do I only run it when it is soggy?  Or can I use it to facilitate forced drying ?   Yesterday in the rain, I pulled a quart of water out of the studio air in 2 hours with the machine turned on high !

I have read here of some people saying they can throw in the morning, trim that afternoon and bisque the next day.  That sounds wonderful .  I don't ever have that, even in our dryer times. 

For those who do this quick turn around, do you wrap things that have lots of joins or handles?   or wrap handles and leave the rest of the pot exposed?  Is the low humidity ever a problem, or is it always a blessing?  

It has occurred to me that I could have a studio in Arizona, while the rest of the property is in the soggy south !   So do I want this, or am I tampering with trouble ? 

Should add, the machine has a sensor that will make it kick on at whatever range I set it, desert or swamp.

Low humidity presents it's own issues, certainly!

I live in a semi arid climate, and I'm not working full time in clay yet, so I have to slow things down with dry cleaner plastic. With the clay I use right now, I have to cover things with recently attached handles for about half a day to let the pieces get used to each other to avoid cracking. I cover a board full of ware with one sheet of plastic. Wrapping individual parts seems time consuming.

With the climate here, in the Midwest, humidity varies depending on the time of year.  Winter is of course dry and the dehumidifier barely runs.  The Spring is damp, late Summer gets pretty muggy, and Fall runs the gamut from damp to dry, depending on the year.

Low humidity does definitely help things dry faster, but nothing works faster, than moving air across the clay's surface.  Get a fan on your wares, and they will dry quickly.  When I want something to dry fast, I get a fan on them for fifteen minutes, to a half hour, and they stiffen up fast.  

When I'm making and trimming several wares at a time, I'll put them in front of a large floor fan.  As I make them, I'll rotate them, putting the wettest closer to the fan, and the drier further away.  By the time I ready to start trimming, my first set are ready to go.

In regards to handles, I will partially cover anything that receives a handle, so the joint has a chance to dry slowly.  I use slip, but I've heard that those who use "Magic Water" or "Magic Slip", don't worry about covering newly attached handles. 

I live is a normally wet humid climate. I keep a humidity meter in shop to know whats going on. I have a gas heater for winter to dry pots. 

I only use it from Nov 1st to say march-april. 

I suggest you buy a humidity guage

http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00613A1-Indoor-Humidity-Monitor/dp/B0013BKDO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414949471&sr=8-1&keywords=humidity+gauge

and see whats going on with and without the de-humidifier

as far as an AZ studio-your clay will dry out as soon as its exposed to the air as its so dry.

For me I would would prefer humidity than none as I can control that.

one last thought-you just need to find what works as far as drying trimming and firing for your situation and be happy with that.

Mark

After 4 days, it seems to be running at night, I pour out about a cup of water each morning.,and kicking off during the dryer day light hours.  Things are slowly and steadily drying, so I guess it is a good things. But a gauge is a good idea, I will look for one. Thanks for the ideas.

I have a dehumidifier in my basement where the studio is.  I set it at 50% year round and throw a sheet of plastic over any ware once it is ready to dry.  I haven't had any issues with abnormal cracking since I got it a couple of years back.  I do appreciate that in the humid times of year in Atlanta,  I can dry ware in the studio rather than taking it outside into a screen porch as I once did.

I try not to get into situations where I need to force dry ware as it tends to cause accidents with my pots in the kiln.

John

I agree that force drying is an invitation to disaster.  I'm hoping for steady drying, even when the weather is working against that. I am still wrapping rims and handles, changing sheets, putting things on racks for even exposure. So far, so good.  When I went in to the studio this AM, the thing was running. as the morning went on, it kicked off.  Now is has clouded over and we are expecting rain the rest of the day, and it is back on. I think I like it!

Archived