Bon Ami Whiting/feldspar Ratio?

jrgpots

I have about 10 lbs of Bon Ami cleaner that we don't use anymore. I thought about using it in a glaze. It is made up of limestone (whiting) and feldspar. But I can't find in the public domain the ratio between the two. Before I do a line blend, I wondered if anyone here had done so. I don't want to reinvent the wheel...... Anyone know of the ratio in Bon Ami?

Jed

*grins* my first thought when I looked at my canister of Bon Ami was "I wonder how this would fire?"

I think I will find out. I am guessing there is more CaCo3 than feldspar, so I will do line testing keeping the same amount of Bon Ami and adjusting the feldspar levels. I'll add 10% 3124 and 20% EPK and see what I get.

Jed

Call the company

may be the most direct.

Mark

Hasn't scratched yet

You are too smart... I called the Company they gave me this:

Calcium carb. 78-88%

Feldspar. 1-5%

Surfactants. 1-5%

Soda ash. 1-2%

Sodium bicarb. 1-2%

Looking at the above the calcium carb has to be between 85-88% given the other percentages.

So if anyone is interested, there it is. Now I can make some Bon Ami glaze.

Jed

as an off-label use of the product

I think it says that its good for cleaning counters ,toilets,floors and making sanitary glazes on the label.

You can also use the can to roll slabs of clay .

Mark

Is that sarcasm I hear in your text, jockular joviality, or just making fun of me?   Whatever it is.........it makes me laugh.  Maybe I can "clean up" with a new new glaze while polishing my glaze making skills at the same time.  Hopefully I can get down to the nitty gritty of the glaze calculations and smooth out any rough spots I may have in my line blends.  I'm sure I won't come out of it with any scratches!

Jed

Mark you should be employed as a new marketing guy for this company. Love lateral thinking

All those great glaze ingredients in a cleaner! What a waste.

Don't say a word to the company, the price will go up immediately

They're not telling us everything with those percentages!  What's the missing ingredient.

Reads like a recipe I got from a swap our recipes "friend' who happened to leave out a crucial ingredient, being a sceptic I twigged, but only after she had mine in hand, oh the days of innocence are over.

Archived