To Dip Or Spray?

Both are good, but I love dipping. Dipping is much faster than spraying. I wouldn't have time to spray an entire kiln load. Using glaze tongs will prevent finger marks. For pieces that are too big for the bucket, I pour the glaze, but that gives an uneven application which fortunately is the aesthetic I'm going for. For large pieces that require an even application I have to mix 20-30 gallons in the really big buckets. I'm trying to get away from that, though because it's expensive to keep that much glaze in inventory. Both spraying and dipping take practice to do well.

I don't have enough output to warrant making large batches of glaze, therefore I'm unable to dip anything much larger than a mug and so I mostly spray. I pour the insides and spray the outsides.

I've never felt that I waste a lot of glaze by spraying, have you adjusted the spray pattern of your sprayer? Mine can be reduced to cover quite a small area, less than a 40mm circle, I also use an airbrush which is even more controllable but the glaze needs to be thinner.

Finger marks can be quite attractive on some items, but if you feel the need to get rid of them it just takes a little practice, dab some glaze onto the finger marks immediately after you've glazed it,  either use your finger or a well loaded brush (preferably a glaze mop), and when its dried you can rub it back gently to a smooth surface with your finger.

I agree dipping is faster than spraying. I can't get the look I want with dipping so I spray for the most part.. Blended and layered glazes on different parts of the pot are easier to do with a spraygun. Like Neil said it takes a while to learn how to glaze, whichever way you do it.

Archived