Underglaze Ombre/gradient Effect

mregecko

Hi everyone -- hoping I can get some advice from you all.

I've got a tall (~20in), narrow form that I threw from grogged B-mix. It has been bisqued, and I've been wracking my brain about how I want to glaze it.

I really like the idea of doing an ombre effect on it, starting with white at one end and going to a dark, rich cobalt blue.

Something like this.

The link above says it's done with a cobalt oxide, which is easy enough to get my hands on.

But I'm definitely not a painter. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting this kind of gradient? I'm guessing just progressively watered down concentrations of the oxide, but I feel like that will get tricky in the super-faint almost-white areas.

I have things to practice on, so no worries there.

Thanks in advance!

First thought in my mind was dipping. Dilute solution. Staring from bottom, 1st inch 1 sec, second inch one second , 3rd 1 sec , 4 th . Etc etc. So now bottom had 4sec and top has 1sec. Granted the gradiation is primarily at top of colored section. Or lower form slowly into colorant,at transition increase speed and remove quickly.

Ahhhh Chiaroscuro (loosely). Isn't easy! Many creative media are judged on this subtle gradiation from dark to light

Thanks everyone for your replies so far!

I'm very intrigued by the airbrush idea... Maybe because I love toys. I do have a friend with one, I may inquire if I can give this a try with his set.

Biglou's solution of the dipping sounds really easy to test out as well, I think I'll start out with trying it on some smaller forms.

To Marcia's point.... I know at previous studios we have had oxide washes available in the glaze area that were just cobalt, and that's how a lot of cobalt & white porcelain is painted, I thought? I'm definitely open to suggestions if people think straight cobalt is a bad idea (I'd probably cover with a thin frit or water down clear for some sheen).

Unfortunately, slip (along with the technique rebby provided) isn't really an option as this is already at the bisque stage.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an airbrush.

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/2290-shellac-carved-image/

I mix mason stains with a clear glaze , screen well with 100 mesh screen, and airbrush the color onto bisqueware.

This one is sprayed over a shellac carved image of black underglaze that has been bisque fired.

Marcia

• 3 weeks later...

Archived