QotW: Do you have a local "Community Studio" in your area?

Sorry, I was away this last weekend, and did not get a posting of the QotW.  While away, visiting my daughter in Amarillo TX, we went to a local arts building that had a wonderful traveling show of National Geographic animal pictures. Very nice show with impressive photographs and stories behind their subject matter and the intimacy of photographer and subject.  The display was in a local building, maybe an old mall, but dedicated to the arts with local artists. Included in this building was a large working studio with equipment and materials for a wide variety of arts and crafts. While there I saw a group doing ceramic dragons as a theme, saw glass blowers, multiple printing presses for screen, etching and work on display. There were multiple easels with areas for watercolor, oil and acrylic painting. Quite an impressive area with lots of people enjoying themselves either working, teaching or just wandering as we were. 

QotW: Do you have a local "Community Studio" in your area similar to the one I visited in Amarillo?

best,

Pres

• Pres pinned and featured this topic

In the Chicago area there are numerous community ceramics studios. Mine is probably the smallest. Most art programs that have multiple disciplines under one roof are run by city park districts, and there are a number of great programs throughout Chicagoland. The largest private art studio in the area is Lillstreet Art Center. They have a large 3 story facility on Chicago's north side, and have between 800-1000 students enrolled at any time. Their main focus is ceramics, but they also offer classes in drawing, painting, jewelry & metalsmithing, printmaking, and more. I've given several workshops there, built their soda kiln 3 times, and I service their electric kilns. I've also sold kilns to many of their students who have set up their own studios in the area.

Lillstreet, and community studios in general, are a great resource for people who otherwise wouldn't have the space or money to have their own studio, or who prefer that social setting to making art alone. I have a number of students who have their own wheels and kilns at home, but continue to take classes at my studio because they love hanging out with the other students.

We do have an outstanding community ceramics studio at the Bascom in Highlands, NC.  It's about an hour away from me.  I've never needed to use it myself but they have a top notch setup and offer classes, have multiple kilns, etc. 

And of course I'm about an hour to an hour and a half from Asheville that PRE HURRICANE Helene did have a lot of community studio spaces.  Of course the hurricane took out the River Arts District so that's all wreckage and mud now.  Even though it's a bit of a drive for me (and the Blue Ridge Parkway down my way is now closed indefinitely for rebuilding) I used to have a studio space there.

I do host classes here at my studio but as I am so far out in the boonies (wilderness area) that I only host them privately to individuals or small groups.

We have several small to medium ceramic workshops and then one large art center.    It has many different arts in it,  I have toured it but not worked there.   Of course I remember the ceramics,  sculpture and glass blowing  areas.  It also had computer design classes,  welding, lithograph printing   and a full gourmet kitchen for the cooking classes.   They are always advertising for volunteers to teach,  clean  and maintenance.  It was built by Mary Koch of Koch Industries,  she supports the arts all over the world.  The Koch's have a house near the workshop they are originally from Wichita.   Denice

The State and Community colleges here have art studios, including ceramic - well appointed they are.

There's also a Supply/Material business with a fairly large Studio - members there pay a monthly fee for 24/7 access - that offers classes and firing as well.

There are a few potters that teach out of their Studios.

I enjoy visiting all the above when I can

We don't have an open large multi art Center; Sacramento must have somewhat like, ninety miles away- I must go look ...some day.

Edited by Hulk
-

I didn't think about the college programs,  we have two junior colleges that have ceramic programs and Wichita State University that has a full ceramic program.   I know the ceramics department is still at WSU but I am not sure about the junior colleges.   So much has changed since Covid,  a lot of changes happen,  some for the good others bad.  Denice

On 10/15/2024 at 9:53 PM, Pres said:

"Community Studio" in your area

It's amazing how we each define "area". 

I think of anwhere less than 30 minute drive as "my" area.  We used to have a ceramics class at the local "over 50 day centre", but they moved us out and couldn't find a new location, so until that building is knocked down and it's replacement built, we have no ceramics class.  Half the tools and small equipment are stored in my shed, the other half in the tutor's shed.  They sold the kiln, wheels and pugmill back to the local dealer.

As for a community studion that is open more than 2 hours a week, and has facilities for other crafts - the answer is no.

I'm sure there are community facilities further out, but as I'm not interested in driving that far, I have no knowledge. 

Nope. (Tho there's a "paint ur own" ceramic molds place, fairly local, and a few very small public studios, generally in excess of 120 mi. round trip.) There is also very little left in the way of ceramic classes and courses in colleges/University--not even a Department left--tho the best potters make sure that info for workshops in NH and  nearby states (ME/MA/VT) are well promoted via social media.