Teaching wheel throwing

Hi! 
Im starting off teaching wheel throwing to max 3 students at a time, we have 4 wheels available. So which is the best way to teach the class if I can’t pay attention to each individual student for mistakes they may be making while throwing? I’ve previosly taught 1 student at a time, and I was paying attention to her and guiding her through each step which was great,  But I find it a challenge to teach 3 students because they make a lot of mistakes…while I’m trying to show them my throwing I feel I’ll loose track of them individually. How do other teachers do it? Here in Bogota the studio owner sort of expects the teacher to have the first time students make a final workable piece to eventually take home, in that class. Any advice helps thanks!!

It depends on a few factors, but I’ll describe what I do. 
I teach at a studio that does 6 week courses with max class size of 10 students. When we first opened they weren’t always full though, and I find 3 students isn’t drastically different than one. You’re not hovering over one individual, and chances are they’re all making similar mistakes. In fact it’s nicer, because conversation flows a little better. 

We have a bit more of a formal structure, in that we have students take a level 1 class, which is mostly learning how to center, pull a wall and trim, plus studio hygiene and how to wedge. Lots of wonky pots! Level 2 is about making more deliberately. For demos I start with a rough template of cup, bowl or plate, and tailor the complexity to the group. If I have someone fresh out of level 1, they’ll usually end up with some cups and small bowls. More experienced students might get encouraged to make a more in depth design, better handles, larger pieces or we start talking about lids on a cylinder. 

I think by observing the way your students work on the wheel, you may find that one may be more skillful than the others and thus may need less assistance. This would allow you to spend more time with the others. I took a Learning Exchange class (my first foray into pottery) that lasted 6 weeks. During that time frame, the teacher said he expected us to produce 4 viable pieces. I made 22! That was 15 years ago and my cats are still eating out of the first bowl that I made in that class, and I still occasionally drink coffee from one of my original mugs. I guess that I had a natural affinity for working with the wheel...you may find the same holds true for some of your students.

I used to work with up to 6 students on wheels in my Ceramics 2 classes. I guess I am old school back then enough to know I couldn't be there the entire time for them as the 2's were taught at the same time as Ceramics 1's. I started with basics, and a check listing. First step was centering 3lb of clay. two was successful completion of opening up, and formation of throwing donut. Each step had to be checked off on a checklist until completion of a 9 inch cylinder. I was constantly bouncing around from the 1 group in the big room to the wheel area in the other room, big opening/window between the two rooms. I would correct hand and elbow positions, show angle of hands in relation to the wheel head vertically, make certain they were using body anchors instead of arm strength often seeing beginners "chicken winging".  In the end most of the 2's would accomplish the cylinder, then the bowl and then the plate. I taught each form separately and progressively. I think the checklist helps the student to understand the process and be focused on it, and the moving around from class to students and back allowed for mistakes that could be explained and corrected. 

AIMHE,

best,

Pres

I taught a throwing class years ago,   I had enrolled in it with my son and his friend to teach them how to throw.  The teacher got her hands torn up so I stepped in to help.   These were  second level  students,  I noticed that a lot of them were still struggling to center.    I  would have the student sit on the potters stool and control the speed of the wheel,  I would stand on the opposite side of the wheel and demonstrate a throwing technique.   Almost all of the students would come up and tell me that they get it now and when the semester was over they wanted me to come back the next semester and be there teacher.  I didn't return, throwing that way gave me a painful back ache.  I did manage to teach my son, he was throwing bowls and mugs by the end of classes.  I noticed in college that some people had trouble learning watching the professor throw,  they would crowd in behind him  to watch the demonstration.     Denice

With the setup we have, the people who are fresh out of level one are usually still bad at centering/pulling/trimming, but they’ve got a grip on the steps and it’s just a matter of helping them iron out their specific problems. The people on their second round of level 2 are making even pots and are addressing more design or size based questions. We split it up because learning that first bit is pretty instruction-intensive, but once you can center ok, you can work a bit more independently. A prolific student will come out with a dozen finished pieces, someone who’s working a little slower probably has 5 or 6.