Is there a way to remove heat from studio when kiln is firing?

I am almost finished setting up my new studio and I was curious if anyone has a vent/exhaust system to remove heat from the space when the kiln is going? It's an L&L e28M.  I will be working in a finished garage that is about 400sqft. I am fine just not working on the days the kiln is going, but if there is a way to get some heat out and have the space workable, that would be amazing! Thanks!

(I should also add- this space is a bit bigger with taller ceilings than my old studio, so it may not be as noticeable!)

Edited by Amelia

• Amelia changed the title to Is there a way to remove heat from studio when kiln is firing?

We did a do-it-yourself version of "Vent a Kiln"

ventakiln.jpg.8d4dbbe17345b0ede1a26cce7a546c18.jpg

I wouldn't expect an overhead setup to capture all the fumes and heat - they can make a tremendous difference, however.

There are several other scenarios for moving air/heat/fumes from an enclosed space...

My previous Studio would get so very hot (!) with a seven cubic foot kiln in a single garage space...
We had an old propane fired patio heater - we repurposed the hood/reflector (a large round cone shape*) as a heat/fume hood, set up a six inch galvanized vent to suck from under the hood and exhaust to outside with a 400cfm inline fan in between.

It was noisy, but rather effective!

Now I'm using the fan and ducting for my glaze mixing station - whisk! - away goes the dust! I have the motor on a speed control, for full blast isn't required to pull the dust...
The kiln is set up elsewhere. On one hand, there's carrying pots back and forth between the Studio and kiln; on t'other hand, no heat and fumes in the Studio, and, And, more space (it's also a single garage space)!

Note: when exhausting from the space, allowance for "make-up" air must be made - a way for air to flow in, replacing what is being exhausted.

Several Forum members have similar ...and very different... heat/fume removal setups; I'll try to find and link them here later...

*like this, the top part.
patioheaterthing.jpg.cb55f35c83b5c54313882ac7418e91cb.jpg

Edited by Hulk
oh yeah, make up air; be fair, credit Vent a Kiln at the TOP

My studio is next door to my husbands garage,  there is a whole house fan in west window.  My studio kiln room is on the east side of the house,  I open all of the windows in my studio and turn the fan on exhaust.   The windows are 60 feet apart,  they would have to be closer together if it was a smaller fan.  One time he decided to paint a car with the fan blowing in and my windows open in my shop.   It was a good thing I had a dusty shop, it was covered with orange paint and we had to replace the window screens.   Denice

Our garage is insulated and sheet rocked  with one window and two garage doors.  When we built our house we were required to insulate and use fire resistant sheet rock  on the wall connected to the house and the ceiling by county code.    Since we both work in our shops all year long we decided to sheet rock my  studio and the rest of his garage.   My husband and son  did the hanging and I taped and mudded.   I also painted and wallpapered my studio,   vinyl wallpaper doesn't stain and is easier  to clean than paint.   Denice

Use whatever fits your budget. At the high end, the Vent-A-Kiln hoods are fabulous.  At the low end, if you've got two windows in the space, put a fan in one window blowing in, and a fan in the other window blowing out. If you've only got one window,  use a fan blowing out and crack the door a hair to bring in fresh air.