QotW: When was the last time you went to a large crafts show as a spectator/buyer?

I used to go to the Penn State Arts Festival in State College, PA almost every year. However, with Covid, and travel plans, I have not made it to the show in about 6 years. I used to do the show in the 90's as there was a special category back then for local crafts people. . .they juried us in person, from actual work. Later I would go to the show to see what was going on, and stay connected. Makes me wonder if other craftspeople take the time to go to large shows to see what is going on in the craft world., and if you saw work that intrigued you enough to make a purchase? 

QotW: When was the last time you went to a large crafts show as a spectator/buyer?

best,

Pres

I can't walk the large shows,  I did go to a small high end art show right before Covid hit.   Invitation only,  mostly painters and one pottery booth,  they were from the West coast.    I haven't heard or read about any art shows  for a couple of years.    Denice

Maybe 30 years ago or longer. After many 100s of shows (this year is my 50 local show as well as its the 50th show year for the show) you could not drag me to one. That one over 30 years ago was a show I did long ago and friends wanted to go on the way to somewhere else so I caved and went with them. After 5 decades on the show curcuit in the west I'm not going for fun to any.I have to many other interests .

I get to several a year - but which ones vary.  I don't /sell/ at them though because I never have inventory on hand.  Everything I do gets listed to public auction as soon as it is finished and sold to the highest bidder, or gets listed on my website and usually is snatched up within minutes.  The last REALLY big craft show I went to was down in Atlanta probably ten years ago or there abouts.  But smaller local craft shows I get to most months of the year from spring to autumn.  I live in an area with a lot of festivals, pottery, etc.   My attending doesn't really have anything to do with my business though.  My niche is so precise that I just go to shows like that for fun and shop for gifts.  But once in a long while I see some idea I like for presentation.  Sculpture though is harder to find at craft shows so I don't see much of it outside of art galleries.

Edited by Hyn Patty

I believe it was the last show @Mark C. did at UC Davis in California. 6-10 years ago. I went specifically to see him and we traded pieces and I bought a really cool mug from him. It is perfect for hot chocolate and gets used regularly. 

Around 30 years ago I went to the American Craft Council show in Baltimore. I was in graduate school and it was practically right down the street (in Alaska, that means less than a two hour drive). I was blown away by the size of the show and quality of work. I didn’t love every booth, but it was packed with the largest collection of high quality handmade goods I’ve ever seen. I haven’t been a show that’s matched it since. I bought a couple cups I couldn’t afford and use them to this day. 

Around 10 years ago I went to a juried art/craft fair in Park City, Utah. That was a good one, not the scale of the ACC show, but quality stuff. It was a mix of painters, sculptors, and craftspeople.

I really enjoy seeing the creative ways people display their work and cope with the challenges a craft show presents. 

My answer is also the ACC Baltimore show, which I attended this past March. I did this show maybe 10 times, but stopped during the pandemic. Have not done it again since then, because ACC seemed to be struggling to figure out how to do shows again. They had a lot of staff turnover during the pandemic years, and reports from friends were that the show was not worth doing or attending. This year I went as a spectator just to see how it looked with my own eyes, to evaluate whether I should try it again. It actually looked pretty good. Lots of changes since I last did it, but there was a great crowd, and the artists I knew all seemed to be doing well. 

I'm planning on going to the 91st annual  League of New Hampshire Craftsmens' Fair " ...a beloved tradition that transforms the Mount Sunapee Resort into a bustling hub of creativity and craftsmanship. Running from August 3rd to 11th, this nine-day event is one of the oldest and most prestigious craft fairs in the country." Basically it's in a hugmongous  field and has tons of pretty high end & interesting/beautiful stuff as well as more modest (i.e. affordable) offerings.  I'm going to bring a chair and take up an offer to sit in Mill's & Zoldak's booth because I can't do all the walking and need a place to park it for a while in between forays. They'll be doing demos, including Steve's amazing slip trailing.

I attended the Cherry Creek Arts festival 5 years ago.  Such a delight.  Well thought out,  met some potters in person, that I had only read about.  I usually attend the one in Steamboat Springs, Art in the Park, it's not as large as the Cherry Creek festival, but still lots of fun to see what people are creating.