QotW: What sort of "trimming platform" do you use?

I guess all of you by now know that I use a Giffin Grip (GG) when trimming. Over the years I had used all sorts of trimming strategies usually on the wheel head, clay chocks, tapping in place, and rubber pads with a lid on top to hold the pot down. There were I am sure variations on these, but too long ago to remember. Back in the 70's though I started seeing references to a new tool the Giffin Grip. A few years later I had a little extra money in my Ceramics budget at the HS and bought one. After using it for a year at school, I bought one for home. Over the years It has saved me all sorts of trouble when trimming odd shaped pots like pitchers and others that required a thrown wet chuck, or a bisque fired one. Then I realized that with plumbing parts I could trim awkward pieces with more stability and have chucks that could be kept permanently to use, especially when making chalices or flagons(pitchers). 

QotW: What sort of "trimming platform" do you use?

I have a seperate trimming  station its a small Brent Model A wheel with a few Griffen Grips. One is set up for regular sliders the other is set up for arms. Back when I was really producing tons of wares  I could just snap one off and use the right one without time switching parts. Now I'm doing less and its not critical . I also have the griffen huge platter trimmer hanging on the wall but I have not used it in a few years so it may have to go up for sale. Not making mondo huge platters anymore. These are all time savers if you are in the business of pottery production

Neoprene disc stuck to the wheelhead with a little water for the vast majority of my pots, no clay wads. For bowls and platters wider than the wheelhead I use a  large batt that I glued high density upholstery foam to and put that on a damp Xiem BatMate knockoff. Never felt the need for a Giffin Grip.

I've a particle board "bat" just thick enough to cover the pins for trimming*.
I'm using clay to hold the wares in place - rather a lot, for I need both hands to use trimming tools; the right wants to be in charge (control) but needs the left for support**. I grab a handful, for it will need re-wetting throughout the session.
For narrow topped wares, there's an (ever growing) collection of tapered vessels to set the ware in, which I then fix to the "bat" with clay.
...so far, each time I think it's time to fashion a chuck, I've found somewhat else that will work.

Much as a Giffin Grip would seem ideal for me, I'm accustomed to my process.
So far, I think of somewhat else I'd rather have for the $...

*which eliminates the striking hazard of bare bat pins...

**Oh, they (hands) work, just not the same as they were decades ago.
Our adaptations/workarounds, we (err, I) become accustomed and don't always notice "what's missing" if it's not right in front of us!

I also hold my trimming tools with both hands, but I use the left hand to rotate the tool in my hand to the position I want instead of rotating the wrist of the hand holding the tool.

best,

Pres

On 5/12/2024 at 4:00 PM, Pres said:

Griffin Grip (GG)

On 5/12/2024 at 4:51 PM, Mark C. said:

Griffen Grips.

For future searching, please note this should read Giffin Grip.  No "r", "i" not "e".   

• Pres unpinned this topic