Hello, 

I have acquired a old Gare K-10 Manual Kiln. There is no pyrometer and no timer.  There are four switches, one for each element, that turn either ON or OFF--there is no inbetween.

1.  How do I control the common, low--medium--high, heat when there is only an on-off switch for each heat element?  

2. How do I ensure the heat will be distributed evenly? 

3. Is there a manual/video on using this type of kiln?  

I am new to the pottery world, would appreciate insight from anyone who has used the same or similar type of Kiln. 

Thank you, 

Jane

Does it have a Kiln Sitter?

Start with the lid propped open an inch or two.

1. Bottom switch on. Wait 1 hour.

2. Second from bottom switch on. Wait 1 hour.

3. Close lid. Wait 1 hour.

4. Next switch on. Wait 1 hour.

5. Top switch on. If it has a Kiln Sitter, wait for the cone to bend the kiln shuts off. If it doesn't have a Sitter, you'll have to put cones in the kiln and watch through the peephole for them to bend.

Posted (edited)

I really appreciate your insight, thank you.

There is a Kiln  Sitter, so I will use that.  

There are two peepholes. Throughout the process you have described, should I only open the top peephole  once I close the lid (step 3)?

As well, I am planning to use the kiln in a double-car garage (with the cars removed) with the garage door open.  Do you feel this is enough ventaliation?  

Again, thank your help and advice. I am happy to know that it is possible to use the kiln as is, without adding a pyrometer or timer. 

Edited by Whythatfam

You can get small digital pyrometers, hand held devices, not very expensive in the scheme of things.

I would install a timer set at about 1/2 hr post target cone drop. This is a backup, essentialimo, inxase the sitter bar doesn't drop for some reason.  Long time potters, eg @Pres can guage the temp according to colour if kiln interior but until colour shows you're in the dark. :-))