Is this an unusable wheel head? Please help me

Hello, 

I am considering to buy a second hand Shimpo pottery wheel. It is from 2003. 
I checked it out and found the wheel head had dried clay not removed properly from the previous owner and some scratches and a bit rough surface. 
I wonder if I have to replace it or is it okay to throw clay on it? Treatments? 
Also, the handle became harder. Advise to make it softer? 
Thanks, 

IMG_2971.jpeg

Edited by Karo
Too large

15 hours ago, Russ said:

That is a perfectly good used wheelhead.  You could clean it up a bit with some steel wool.

Thank you. I will try and see what happens. I also read that a bit of oil and foil aluminum might help - thoughts?

12 hours ago, oldlady said:

what are you referring to when you say "handle"?

I mean the foot pedal and manual governor lever are a bit hard and wonder what I can do to make it looser?

4 hours ago, Karo said:

Thank you. I will try and see what happens. I also read that a bit of oil and foil aluminum might help - thoughts?

Oil might help your foot pedal and governor to work smoothly, but not advisable to have it on surfaces that come into contact with your clay. #0000 Steel wool should smooth out the wheelhead surface. Lubricate with a little water while rubbing out irregularities, rinse well.

I bought a used Brent wheel that had a sticky foot pedal,  everyone here of the forum told me it probably needed adjusting.    I found a video on-line  that showed how to fix it.   It was adjusted totally wrong,  I followed the instruction and put it back together.  It ran like a new wheel.   Denice