Hello, 

Does anyone have any findings or historical data  on the first known potter to expose the seam in a slab built cup/vessel? This is what I do, but someone recently accused me of copying a contemporary potter with the seam. Although I had  seen it before I adopted it, I didn’t set out to copy. A seam is a seam. I’ve been researching but can’t find any data. Thank you in advance. FD6F99DA-97DB-45D5-BA45-BC9AC0F4012F.png.e860a51718a7d4a0d51d20e83c68b277.png

Copying a design versus using the same technique while making a pot are two different things. Are there any new designs in functional ware that haven't been done before by someone somewhere, I don't know but I sort of doubt it.

I have noticed quite a few makers doing exactly what you describe; leaving the mark of the making process visible at the joins. I don't think you need to waste your energy trying to justify your work. Getting inspiration from others work is one way to challenge yourself into making new forms, and making them your own.  I'm sorry you are going through this, it must have been upsetting to you.

When I was getting my ceramics degree I thought I came up with original designs.   One week a professor gave us the assignment of finding a original design in pottery.   I spent hours looking through books on  pottery through history.   Every time  I thought I had found  one there was another one like it further back in history.   You were using a technique even if you copied it you can never quite get the same look.   Copying is a good way to learn,  I had one class where we were given a photo, the amount of clay used and size,  we had a week to throw it.   Usually there would be only one piece in the class  that came close to the original.   You should of said " there are mugs that look like mine,  I was just copying the seams on my jeans."   Denice

Birdie Boone, Shprixieland Studios, Naomi Clement  and Sarah Pike are 4 artists I can think of off the top of my hand who slab build and leave exposed seams. All have WILDLY different work from each other. Google for comparison: you’ll feel better.

Unless your work also has a lot of other design features in common with the image you linked, the person who says you’re copying is out to lunch.