Will soy wax work for resist on bottoms?

i try to save money on simple things so i can buy something else.   i use hot wax that i get free from thrift shops who get bent, partly burned, or dirty candles that they would normally throw away.   i supply a box about 12x12 inches  and  ask them to drop those off into the box.    i check back and find when the box is filled and pick it up, dropping a dollar or two into their cash drawer.

all candles work well, my favorites are red or any other dark color so when they melt, i can see them on the clay more easily than the clear i get with purchased wax.    the last box i got about 2 years ago  is still half full.

there is one kind of candle to avoid totally!   anything with "snow" or sparkles of any kind should not be melted,   there is something in them that is bad.   i do not know why, i only know the results were so bad the work met mr hammer.  

Edited by oldlady
correct

Another soy wax user here. I much prefer it to paraffin. Not only does it smell less, it melts to a more liquid consistency, therefore makes a straighter line on your pot. When you dip a pot into melted paraffin, the top edge of the paraffin can be wobbly and uneven, because it starts to solidify against your pot too fast. 

Note that it’s possible to by the wrong type of soy wax. There are some soy wax pellets that are formulated to stay soft when cool. Those do not resist glaze very well. Make sure to use soy wax FLAKES (looks like you have the right kind, @Snickerhaus Studio), and that the flakes are shiny and hard at room temperature. 

Can't remember details but on the grounds that most folk heat their pareafin was too high, sone advised adding a bit of lavendar oil to the wax bath . As soon as oil is smelled, lavendar wax is hot enough and thermostat should be set at that temp. 

Still poses prob on burn off in kilnn but not when waxing pots. Church candles here too.

On 2/7/2024 at 10:21 AM, GEP said:

Another soy wax user here. I much prefer it to paraffin. Not only does it smell less, it melts to a more liquid consistency, therefore makes a straighter line on your pot. When you dip a pot into melted paraffin, the top edge of the paraffin can be wobbly and uneven, because it starts to solidify against your pot too fast. 

Note that it’s possible to by the wrong type of soy wax. There are some soy wax pellets that are formulated to stay soft when cool. Those do not resist glaze very well. Make sure to use soy wax FLAKES (looks like you have the right kind, @Snickerhaus Studio), and that the flakes are shiny and hard at room temperature. 

Thank you for pointing out that one can buy the wrong type.  Appreciate you responding here. 

On 2/7/2024 at 8:23 AM, fergusonjeff said:

I only use soy wax.  Less toxic than paraffin, but still smells when burning off in the kiln.  I buy a bulk 10 pound bag from Amazon every few years, 

Just keep it in a sealed container.  Mice seem to like it.

Good to know!  That is funny about the mice liking it. 

On 2/6/2024 at 4:45 PM, oldlady said:

i try to save money on simple things so i can buy something else.   i use hot wax that i get free from thrift shops who get bent, partly burned, or dirty candles that they would normally throw away.   i supply a box about 12x12 inches  and  ask them to drop those off into the box.    i check back and find when the box is filled and pick it up, dropping a dollar or two into their cash drawer.

all candles work well, my favorites are red or any other dark color so when they melt, i can see them on the clay more easily than the clear i get with purchased wax.    the last box i got about 2 years ago  is still half full.

there is one kind of candle to avoid totally!   anything with "snow" or sparkles of any kind should not be melted,   there is something in them that is bad.   i do not know why, i only know the results were so bad the work met mr hammer.  

Good idea to reuse.  Thank you for pointing out to watch out for additives. Like sparkles. That must have been so frustrating to have had your piece gone so far in the process, then get ruined by sparkles!

On 2/6/2024 at 2:50 PM, Min said:

Soy wax works great on the bottom of pots, also smells less than paraffin wax when burning off.

Thank you, for getting back to me.  Since I use an electric skillet I can be careful to not heat too high but I am trying to avoid the bad exposure some say about paraffin.

On 2/7/2024 at 10:26 AM, Min said:

If you do have the soy wax for container candles (the softer kind) you can add a bit of steric acid to it to firm it up. About 1 part steric acid to 10 parts soya wax. (It’s sold for hardening candle wax)

Thank you for pointing out one can add the steric acid.