What style of pottery sells best?

Maybe this question is better suited to a QOTW, but I am going to start a thread on this sub forum. I think my question fo 'what type of pottery sells best' is probably a matter of both regional observation and opinion, but wondering, is it traditional glazing, sgraffito, attention to surface decoration, soda fired, or something else? I know that I am not covering all types, but mentioned a couple to get the thread started. I'm assuming that functional such as mugs and bowls sell better than figurative or decorative type pottery? 

Betty

Edited by Bam2015

Good question.
A few patterns stand out:

Where the largest mug in the display sells. I've bumped up my mug sizes several times now; what is now "medium" used to be rather large, heh.

Some, no, many folks cruising the wares will go straight to seconds (minor cosmetic defects) and/or marked-downs, looking for a bargain.

Much less often, a looker will beeline to the best piece in the display, and grasp it, then buy it.

More mugs and bowls go than vases, teapots, and jars.

What's happening seems to make a difference. When there are people picking up ware and not putting them down (! a buyer!!), others seem to follow along. Same for interested, happy, engaged, interested (yah, twice), inquisitive people. Somewhat same in reverse though.

What people see, lots of variation there. Some see the prices. Some see the shape, others the color, or decoration, others watch the other shoppers most closely! Some are really looking closely at the potter.
I like to see interested shoppers picking up and handling wares that interest them, for I (like to think I) make pots to be used.

Agree that everyday functional pottery sells much better than sculptural or decorative ceramics. But “functional” alone will not automatically sell, there are plenty of functional wares out there that don’t sell well. It also needs to be pleasing to touch and hold it. And it needs to be correctly priced. Not too high OR too low. And it helps a great deal if it is stylistically original, i.e. customer does not look at it and think “I see a lot of pottery that looks just like this.” 

I have a hard time imagining that best sellers could be ranked based on (implied? perceived? known?) preference for certain surface decoration and/or colors.  So many choices, so many makers, so many buyers, so many locations!! I'm now very interested to see what sellers here have to say! Also whether there is any insight as to whether location, time of year, sub-populations in the region, comments from buyers, other variables, etc. seems to influence what sells best. 

Ramblings follow.

The pots I value most sell the best. Price, style, glaze, size, and type, seem less relevant. Bowls, mugs, and cups may seem to break this pattern because they’re a “type,” something easily adopted into any household, and fall into a narrow price range. They sell most.  But, no, my assertion holds. The bowls mugs and cups I value most sell first, even priced the same as other like items.

The only magic formula I’ve found is to make pots I think are interesting and beautiful based on what holds meaning for me, and share them best by making work that’s a pleasure to hold and use and look at. Never boring and always a challenge. 

People are buying more than a ceramic object. They are buying an object from you. If, somehow, you are a part of that object it changes the equation. For me, if a person picks up a piece and asks one question, it’s as good as sold. Not because I’m a salesman, I’m awful at it, I just answer, we talk,  and it confirms they’re looking at something from the heart, made by a human, and it’s a good thing. Rare. 

I tried chasing million dollar glazes and decorating fads a while and found it soul deadening. I’m not above making an object that sells like hotcakes, it’s just not my driving force. 

Everyone always says blue sells well. Hope that helps Betty. 

So in my brief 50 years in functional sales I decieded after about 15 years into it (1985) my favorite colors (toasty  matt browns) did not sell as well as all my shiny crow pots porcelains (crows swoop down and pick up shiny objects) So I switched to shiny all porcelain pottery with bright colors (not my favorites) Since then I sold very well. I have also noticed that in a few areas I traveled to earthtone browns still sold well-not as well as shiny but geographical location does pay a part in this (yes that will take one decades to refine that knowledge ) I sell bright rutile glazes over other colors best (they are a bear to work with and pit and run and one must master all that ) I like a huge variety  of colors and that gives my customers lots of choices from matts to shiny from blacks to blues (blue is my least fav but sells)

@Bam2015 I like what @GEP said about stylistically original, and what @Kelly in AK said about making pots that are beautiful and interesting to the artist and what is pleasing to hold and touch.  @Mark C. comments about changing up what was pleasing to his eye and what actually was selling.  I will add that you have to know your venue and customer base.  I live in an area where function is the key.  I have had people pick up a bowl and ask what they could use it for.  It's not that they don't know what a bowl is used for, it's that they wonder if there is a specific function for a handmade bowl.  I always try to have an answer for that.  (mashed potatoes, oatmeal, applesauce), but my customers like color and pattern.  Maybe that's because what I like to make.  Circling back to what @Kelly in AK said.  You have to have your heart in what you make.   

People don’t buy pottery for aesthetics. I mean they do, but they’re buying your “eye.” It’s possible to buy white rutile pottery in my grocery store for a fraction of what I can make it for. But they buy my pottery because they like my take on that theme.