Particulate embedded after firing

Hi - Absolute complete newbie here! I am painting tiles with Mayco Stroke and Coat with 2-3 coats of clear glaze on top.  After firing to cone 06 some of the tiles have bumps which I believe are foreign bodies that maybe fell off the shelf above and became embedded.  Can I wet sand, reglaze and refire? (I'm guessing it's not that simple).   

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

You will waste your time trying to get the bumps out.   Your time is better spent making a new tile,  you are a newbie each new piece will be better.    Before you do any firing you need to check the bottom of the shelf.   Has someone put kiln wash on it or does it have flakes of some exploded pot.   You can't use it safely again until it is ground and cleaned off,   it will damage anything fired below it.     Denice

A dremel diamond bit will take out tiny bits. Try to avoid scratching the surrounding area. Dot on a tiny amount of glaze and refire. It will probably be noticeable to you and anyone who examines it closely.  @Denice is right that your energy would probably be better spent starting over, but I understand how hard it is to let go without trying to fix it!

On 1/1/2024 at 4:32 PM, sarcash said:

I am painting tiles with Mayco Stroke and Coat with 2-3 coats of clear glaze on top.  After firing to cone 06

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Couple things, Mayco Stroke and Coat is a highly pigmented glaze, you don't need to brush a clear glaze on top. Second thing is Mayco recommends a minimum firing of cone 04.

Could you post a picture of the problem tiles? Might help clarify what is going on.