Mudwork's White Bear or Ice Man

Clay17

Hello all

Has anybody worked with Kentucky Mudwork's White Bear in a ^6 firing?  If so, what is your opinion?

In the past I used Standard's 563, but since the formula change I find it's absorption rate of close to 3% unacceptable. I'm just about through with the 500# of Standard's 630 I ordered and while it's ok I'm not really happy with it's grey appearance and that my clear likes to craze on it.  I prefer a more white clay. Forget their 240.

Looking for any suggestions about any other white throwing clay too.

I didn't realize that the 563 is over 2%, as that is what is still listed on their website. As for the 630, I am still using it, but as to the grey appearance I have come to use a single dip of my white liner glaze and then work over that. I have a line of glazes that work very well on that and the 211. I have been buying from SC in Pittsburgh since 1975 when I started buying clay for the Altoona Area High school.

best,

Pres

I have been using Kentucky Mudworks Kota.  They call it a porcelain  but it is the easiest throwing porcelain I have ever used.  And it is more white than Laguna 16 (which I think is Miller 16 on the east coast)   I have not used any of Kentucky Mudworks other clays but I am hearing great things about all of them.  

Roberta

• Clay17 changed the title to Mudwork's White Bear or Ice Man

I don't use either of these clays, but if I have used Glazy to find other potters who use the clay I use.  

Just put "White Bear"  in the activity search box in Glazy.  I see that Joe Thompson has used it with Van Gilder Tenmoku (he tried it on several clays so use the arrows to find the White Bear photo) .   Perhaps you can message him. 

You can use the same process for Iceman.  Glazy link.

Hope you find someone that is willing to correspond with you.   

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is a bit old, but I had the same question. And ended up joining the Ky Mudworks Clay & Glaze Group on facebook. Typed in White Bear and Iceman in the search box and there are like 20 threads comparing the two with some really great opinions.

Edited by jay_klay_studio

Highwater makes a wonderful white clay that is very easy to throw and trim and makes great slabwork that does not tear.   it is a cone 6 white stoneware with no grog called Little Loafers.  their cone 10 white stoneware is Loafer's Glory.   have been using it for at least 10-12 years with no problems.   check out my albums.

disclaimer   i throw very dry,  smash my slabs on the floor at least 4 times, stretching the about one inch thick slices to about 3/8 inch thick before rolling with a 24 inch wide bailey slab roller.   i roll it out to less than 1/4 inches, it is very strong and quick to dry i use a glaze recipe from Min that is transparent and easily stained to the color i want.  thank you Min!  that glaze is perfect for the newer work i am doing.

Edited by oldlady
add size of slab