Removing paint from a vintage terracotta pot

Mel03

Hello, I am trying to restore a vintage terracotta pot from Greece which could be fairly old. It is part glazed and part unglazed. At some point, someone had the bright idea of painting the unglazed part of it with what looks to me like gloss paint … this must have been some time ago so the paint is old too. How can I remove the paint and restore the pot to it’s original state without damaging it? Any advice very welcome.

IMG_9734.jpeg

Edited by Mel03
Added photo

Hi Mel,

Welcome to the Forum!

You might have the piece appraised before starting restoration work?

Any road, even the new paint removers* do a decent job of softening old paint to the point where it lifts off and/or liquifies somewhat.
It might take several applications and some time; even then, the paint may have discolored the clay, and the agitation necessary to remove the paint may damage the clay.

Spot test before going all in!

*The newer products don't work as quickly, however, they are less toxic.
Even so, adequate ventilation, gloves, eye protection and organic vapor respirator (with new cartridges)...
Beware, the paint may contain lead!

Step one would be to get a lead testing kit if the piece is older than about 20 years. Amazon sells them if the local hardware store doesn’t have them. 

You may have to go with both a chemical stripper to remove the paint first, and then fire the piece to 800 F to remove that residue, as Bill mentioned.  Many paint pigments are mineral based, and in the event that the paint contains any lead, that would act as a flux that would make any residue permanent. Paint disposal and proper kiln ventilation would also be important considerations 

since you live in london, home of many excellent museums, i suggest you contact the one whose collection of old ceramics is their main feature.   there may be some easier way that their staff knows about and i am sure someone would be able to help you out.  do not send an email, call first to ask the name of the person who oversees the ceramic and pottery exhibits then contact him/her.  always go to the top first.