Looking for an artist for custom ceramic plates

I’m hoping someone can point me in the direction of an artist who would be able to paint custom scenes onto plates as a holiday gift for my wife. The goal is to create a set of Christmas dinner plates with scenes from Chagrin Falls (our home town). Please contact me if you or anyone you know would be able to do this. Thanks. 

Sounds like a lovely idea. I think, though, that pot making and landscape painting are not often found in the same person! 

Assuming you have a few local artists who already do plein aire paintings of your area, you could ask if they would give permission to use their images for a limited edition run of ceramic decals that a local, or even an Etsy-sourced potter could apply to their dinnerware. (Be sure to also get some practice, generic decals for the potter’s firing calibration tests, for best possible results.)

Alternatively, there may already be images of your favorite areas that do not require copyright to reproduce.

I think there have been several references to ceramic decal makers in past posts, but an internet search should lead to Custom Ceramic Decal Maker. 

I agree with most of what Rae said, except for one thing. As someone who has both been on Etsy, and takes on a bit of bespoke work, I wouldn’t go there to find your artist. There’s a lot of well meaning people on there who don’t have the skills yet to take on a project like that, but will say they’ll do it because you’re supposed to say yes to every opportunity.  It’s also incredibly difficult to do bespoke without the ability to meet in person. You can do it, but it’ll take a LOT longer, and you run the risk of missing important info. Etsy lets you narrow search fields so that you stay within the country, but not fine tune it so you’re getting someone in your area.

I would suggest finding a local clay supplier or studio that teaches pottery classes, and seeing who could work with you there. 

@Joe from Chagrin Falls, A google search turns up several sites for custom ceramic plates. Heck, even Amazon lists custom ceramic plates. As others have said, they are printed. IMHO you want an artist to paint the images, and then send the images to a custom ceramic printer for the finished product. Your choice of artist style is probably the biggest factor especially for a personal gift. The other option would be to research antique landscape art for the area to see if there are any images of open source.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your wonderfully thoughtful project.

best,

Pres

18 hours ago, Rae Reich said:

(Be sure to also get some practice, generic decals for the potter’s firing calibration tests, for best possible results.)

If you find a potential image is there any way of getting a preview of how it will look when fired as a transfer (which will typically have a different resolution and pigment model)?

2 hours ago, PeterH said:

If you find a potential image is there any way of getting a preview of how it will look when fired as a transfer (which will typically have a different resolution and pigment model)?

Definitely a question to ask the decal maker. All the decals I’ve seen fired have been pretty true to their appearance on the paper, when fired correctly, but I haven’t ever seen an original before being made into a decal. 
Anyone else know?

Edited by Rae Reich

I have worked with a decal company with original logos and script etc.  They usually send a copy to be proofed.  They are also knowledgeable about their product.  Another suggestion for @Joe from Chagrin Falls is to have a potter create the plates and have a painter/watercolorist paint directly on the bisqued plates with underglaze.  Then the potter can clear glaze then fire.  I have a friend who has worked with me before.   Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...