Under glaze question

Worked myself into a corner. I'm using an amaco velvet underglaze that requires a clear gloss glaze over it. My question is

Do I put the clear over the  underglaze then fire or do I fire the underglaze then put the clear over the underglaze and fire again??

Don't have time to experiment.

Thanks for any help

Graybeard 

I just did a test firing with a Mayco underglaze and top coated it with a clear Duncan glaze.   I was firing to Cone 5 but I don't know why it wouldn't work on a lower cone.   The Duncan clear I use is a low fire glaze,  I can fire it to Cone 5 without any problems.  I tested a white and a blue and they came out perfect.   Denice

20 minutes ago, graybeard said:

Thanks for the reply. So you didn't fire the underglaze then apply the clear and fire it again?

I routinely do both, however easiest to bisque fire the underglaze for the ease of handeling while completing the decoration. I spray most of my glazes so really this poses less of a concern. What I have found, regardless of the application the underglaze and overglaze really need to be tested together. Some combinations shift color, some overglaze has a bit of difficulty melting properly over various colors and makes of underglaze. It does not sound like you have time to test, but it is really the only way in my view to get an expected result. We spent a whole summer testing and finally made our own clear gloss and matte that melted well over various colors, thicknesses and brands so our brush artists could paint, blend, shade in a normal fashion without too much worry.

I have used underglaze both ways.  I agree with @Bill Kielb some clear glazes work better than others over underglaze.  Bisque firing the underglaze first helps with smudging and somehow "setting" the color but I have not really had a bad result putting underglaze on bisque, then clear then firing.  For me, the key seems to be the clear glaze.  

• 2 months later...

Have the same question. My Amaco Underglaze (electric blue) decoration is somewhat involved (on a bisque piece) and I don't want to diminish or smear/run the details when the (dipped) clear goes over it. I see both arguments here about the necessity of bisque firing again before applying clear (or not)...
To be on the safe side, will likely end up bisque firing again to ensure the detailed design is 'secured' before clear dip and final cone 5 firing; as long as the repeated bisque firing won't stress out the Underglaze color at all.

Btw, my spellcheck always capitalizes 'Underglaze' here - weird.

On 9/24/2023 at 6:30 AM, Ben xyz said:

Have the same question. My Amaco Underglaze (electric blue) decoration is somewhat involved (on a bisque piece) and I don't want to diminish or smear/run the details when the (dipped) clear goes over it. I see both arguments here about the necessity of bisque firing again before applying clear (or not)...
To be on the safe side, will likely end up bisque firing again to ensure the detailed design is 'secured' before clear dip and final cone 5 firing; as long as the repeated bisque firing won't stress out the Underglaze color at all.

Btw, my spellcheck always capitalizes 'Underglaze' here - weird.

@Ben xyz you can apply the underglaze to your unfired pots, bisque, then glaze. No need to rebisque if do this, more economical.

Re-firing to bisque temperatures won’t stress your work with cone 5/6 clay. You will be loading and unloading it one more time, which is a slight risk. 

The only risk I see in glazing over unfired underglaze is screwing up the glazing to a point you have to wipe it off. Underglaze has ingredients (gum) that harden it on drying, it’s pretty robust in terms of applying glaze without smearing or bleeding. Especially if you’re dipping to glaze.

I am working on a sunset that is at the top of a mural.    I have been testing and found that if I apply a yellow underglaze on the tile it is much easier to brush a another color of underglaze on top of it and keep a straight line.   The Mayco Glaze I am using suggests Cone  C06 for this application.    Denice