QotW: After throwing/making: How many times do you handle a pot?

Hi folks, 

QotW: After throwing/making: How many times do you handle a pot?

I have tried to cut down on the times I handle a pot, it used to be I would handle it when trimming; then when assembling or adding handles; then go over each piece on a ware bat to assure no rough spots, little nits, or sharp edges; loading the bisque; unloading the kiln; washing; glazing; washing the bottom before loading; unloading the glaze load; sanding the bottoms; taking pictures; and packing for shipping of storage these days. That's 12 times that I have handled the pot! 12 times that if it slipped out of my hands I could have lost it! Too much, so now I try to combine some steps by smoothing edges and such just as I put it on the ware board, but that is still 11! 

best,

Pres

That’s a nice, efficient list, @Pres! Probably close to the minimum for most of us. I wondered whether to count trips on the wareboard when the pot isn’t handled but is moved. Doing a lot of glaze detail can stretch out intermittently for days.

I really do enjoy handling my pieces and pots as I’m working with them. After all, we only have them for a short time :)  and there’s often something to learn. 

Edited by Rae Reich

Lets see today I started picking up 5 tons of clay

Power loaded (forklift into truck) Hired a kid to unload truck

Lets see how many times I have to move it to sell it

1-bring it as needed into studio-usally 700-1,000#s at a. time

2-cut and weigh it put it on a  bat to carry it to wheel

3-take to wheel and throw it

4 carry it on ware boards to sun or heat

5 pop it off plaster bats and put on larger ware bats back into shop

6 if it needs trimming nows the time (this step is a zero if its a no trimmer )

7 if its gets handles its now-mugs etc

8 after handles onto larger bats and covered  with plastic to even out on shelves for the night

9 load into bisque fire-at this time I wet sponge or dry stick  cracks or clean whats needed

10 unload bisque fire onto larger ware bats

11-wax either hand or hot dip

12 glaze it and move to kiln area

12 load the glaze and fire it

13 unload the glaze fire and either price for show or packa nd store for sale (wholesale-consignment-or gallery  /shop order

14 pack it to sales event (show) or outlet /gallery order or a wholesale order

15 drop it off-a gallery /shop or sell it at a show (wrap and bag it)

16 does not sell at show box it into van and leave till next time

Pres I do not know how to get it to 12 steps

Edited by Mark C.

4 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Lest see today I started picking up 5 tons of clay

Power loaded (forklift into trck) Hired a kid to unload truck

Lets see how many times I have to move it to sell it

1-bring it as needed into studio-usally 700-1,000#s at a. time

2-cut and weigh it put it on a  bat to carry it to wheel

3-take to wheel and throw itStarts here

4 carry it on ware boards to sun or heat

5 pop it off plaster bats and put on larger ware bats back into shop

6 if it needs trimming nows the time (this step is a zero if its a no trimmer )

7 if its gets handles its now-mugs etc

8 after handles onto larger bats and covered  with plastic to even out on shelves for the night As I finish handles I automatically put on larger bats-dropping this step

9 load into bisque fire-at this time I wet sponge or dry stick  cracks or clean whats needed

10 unload bisque fire onto larger ware bats

11-wax either hand or hot dip I stopped waxing as not certain how that would work with my downdraft blower

12 glaze it and move to kiln area

12 load the glaze and fire it Wash here before putting in the kiln

13 unload the glaze fire and either price for show or pack and store for sale (wholesale-consignment-or gallery  /shop order

14 pack it to sales event (show) or outlet /gallery order or a wholesale order

15 drop it off-a gallery /shop or sell it at a show (wrap and bag it)

16 does not sell at show box it into van and leave till next time

Pres I do not know how to get it to 12 steps

Honestly, I think I simplified the end steps, as I could put in packing for shipping, carrying to the post office. However, Mark, I can get it down a few steps by starting with the throwing making and  removing step 8. It is the reason I asked the question, everyone has a different answer.

My point is in the end, there are chances for an accident to happen to a piece at every time you handle the pot. Then again to I wonder about how many times a shelf full of pots gets knocked off, or some other accident that takes out one or more pieces.

best,

Pres

After it’s thrown, then:

1. Flip it over, 2. Trim, 3. Terra Sigillata (since that’s 2-3 coats, it’s actually two or three times I handle each piece at this stage), 4. Load in kiln, 5. Unload, 6. Glaze, 7. Load, 8. Unload, 9. Pack

Occasionally, some extras: Adding handles, sanding or clean up of finished work.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:16 PM, Rae Reich said:

I really do enjoy handling my pieces and pots as I’m working with them. After all, we only have them for a short time :)  and there’s often something to learn. 

This sums it up for me--I'd have said it if Rae didn't express it so well first! :) I have only very rarely dropped any, and I'm sure I over-handle every piece. I touch-touch-touch, because the textile aspect is an imperative. I shut my eyes and feel 'em up, from all sides, inside & out, to find and later remove any sharp edges or bits. I also handle many times from wet to dried,  to assess and maniputate, if needed, the heft and weight. How many times per piece? I don't count--safe to say it's basically a lot. Today I handled a lidded box, textured & not yet leather hard, very heavy/chunky (4 lbs), probably 10 times (from taking off the plastic to returning to the ware board when done)  just to fine-tune the shape & lid fit (which is via a free form cut  & then the top & bottom excavated. Once dry, it'll get a lot more handling to tweak the excavations, the stamping, lid fit, surface (burrs removed) etc. 

20230425_222248 -.jpg

• Pres unpinned this topic