Belt slipping?

mxdsa

Hello. I've just joined this community after reading the forums for a few days. There's so much knowledge being shared! Besides reading about wheel problems, I found an inspiring youtube teacher linked from a post somewhere here in the forums - Hsin-Chuen Lin. I'm looking forward to digging into the chemistry section, but for now I'm focusing on fundamental throwing skills. I have some experience with throwing and firing, but my last phase of dedication was in the late 00s - until I started again about six months ago.

That's my intro, and now the reason for this post. I have an (relatively/don't know how) old Brent CK. I bought it probably 15 years ago, don't remember what the original owner told me of its provenance. When applying a decent amount of pressure, usually, but not always when centering, I can very easily stop the wheel. I took off the plastic cover and had a look while doing this - the belt stops completely (and of course the large wheel that it turns), but the motor shaft keeps spinning. This is belt slippage, yes? If so, from what I've read the tension needs to be increased. I would appreciate confirmation or correction before going further.

Here are photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ce5pTWv8FAMYGJdd8

Maybe related: in the last photo, you can see a broken vertically-grooved plastic washer. This was loose on the shaft, under the belt, where it meets the motor body. (See mockup for location.) It broke when I was 'inspecting' it. What is this piece and do I need it?

Thanks!

Caleb

I consider myself as a Brent guy since 1969 when I bought mine in Socal

I am not familiar with a CK but do know they existed from this forum. That blue motor tells me it from the very early days of Brent. I cannot tell by your photos if the belt is two single belts (which means its a very early model) or say a 4 grove belt- early 70s later model. Your belt is slipping so tighten the motor via the bracket that holds it. A photo of the top of the wheel (deck) and the undere head where there is flange for splash pan or not will help with its age as well for me. I'll send you a PM so you can talk to me about your questions

well gone dark on me? Horse to water deal maybe

Mark

Edited by Mark C.

@mxdsa
Your belt tensioner is missing. See the pictures below and the area marked by the revision bubbles. Check your belt deflection if excessive you will need to increase the tension with what you have. Looks like a nut on that threaded bolt that goes through the plate. Loosen the underside jamb nut, tighten the plate down slowly using the top nut retensioning the belt a bit at a time until your slippage is gone. Over tightening can damage the belt, bearing and shaft so go slowly. Find the best spot and lock the plate in place with the top nut and jamb nut.

The washer is likely an old rubber dust / splash guard to help shield the bearing. I am guessing it has dried and become brittle.

763C1F98-2209-4DBD-B37E-7D85564E0F21.jpeg

D8424223-D605-455A-BD87-4D984E5A6E80.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb

Yes  Bill describes it well ,thats how to tighten it down-this is an early 70s model with original motor-its missing the cord strain relief  grip coming out of motor as well. Be carful never to pull on this motor wire. If that motopr ever acts up take it to an old school electric motor shop and tell them its a dc motor-they can do newew bearing and or brushes as well. This motor has zero customer service options yourself. I wore mine out after about 20 years of heavy production work. All the early brent moters where these blue ones. You never see these much anymore. Keep it dry as well.

You could add a back pressure spring as well as in Bills diagram and a wing nut on the outer nut . Thats a modern Brent setup.

Another note is most likely both pullys and motor and wheelhead shaft may be 5/8 inch diameter as they did this setup for the early years changing out to all 3/4 for it all in mid 70s meaning if you ever get a new wheel head or motor and the shafts are 3/4 (all the Brent wheelhaeds are 3/4 for the past 40 years )those other pulleys need to be changed out as well. I have had to do this once as well-no fun so its just a heads up-you can measure that motor or wheel head shaft now and you will know. My guess is 5/8 by the look of all else. No clear shot of the control box side and rear as that also dates it well to for me.

I'm with bill tighten the motor plate-but 1st loosen the atachment on the legs so it can move as a hinge. Tight motor plate a bit then retighten hinge bolts and try it . Small  adjustments are best

model Cs where all 12 inch heads unless you bought the larger 14inch as a upgrade back then. I bought my model C 1/2 hp in 69 from Brent in Santa Monica  before he moved to Healdsburg.

Edited by Mark C.