Sealing unglazed work for outdoor use

Hey All,  I apologize in advance if this topic is in the forum somewhere, but I had no luck in my search.  I have newly started doing some garden sculptures with low fire clay and prefer not to glaze them as I like the white of the clay.  I need to seal them to put in my garden and am looking for your preferred sealers.  Thompson's was suggested on a website, but the can says it can yellow over time.  My sculptures are smaller at this point, 12 inches or less.  Thanks in advance!!!

Joanie

Peter,  Thanks for the info,  I understand the need to seal and I will be bringing them in before it freezes in my area.  What I was looking for is whether anyone has used the seals, and do they yellow or darken.  Is there a brand that doesn't?  What are the preferred brands?

The sculpture is unglazed.  I am going to do a trial of Thompsons on a scrap.  I need to see if the clay darkens and stays the wet look or if it will dry white.  I didn't want to glaze it for fear that I would loose some of the detail with the glaze thickness.  I will let you know the results as I try different products. Russ, where do you find Okon.  Not familiar with that brand?

Thanks!

I have used Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultracover matte Clear on a Raku fountain. The fountain was exposed to winter weather with rain and low temps in the upper 20s as well as summer heat to 115 degrees in direct sun. The finish lasted more than 2 years in these conditions without yellowing. It was a working fountain, spouting water on a regular basis. I have also used it on various other types of yard art with great success.

Fountain 2 sm.jpg

Johnny K,  

Nice fountain,  I think the clear will just make the raw clay look wet not stay white.  I once made a piggy bank that was going to be black and white and I wanted to get it to the person I made it for so I decided to spray it with clear instead of firing it again.  It turned out to be a pink piggy.  I will just do some tests and see before I commit to a finish on the sculpture.  The clear probably works great on colors, vs raw clay.  Thanks for the info!