Clear glaze looks yellow

I teach a ceramic class at The Salvation Army.  I am using Standard low fire slip which I fire to cone 05.  The bisque looks  white.  My problem is when I use a clear glaze and fire it to 05 or 06 it comes out looking yellowish or creamy.  I am aware of the formula change.  I have tried thinning it with distilled water, and putting on a thinner coat of glaze, and used a different brand of glaze.  Nothing I have tried made a difference.  My supplier has told me that they have not had anyone  else with this problem.  Most of the time there is no problem as my class usually use colored glazes.  But, there are times when they want an item to be white and since we are a non  profit I really don't want to use more expesive white glaze.  Is there anyone that can help me?

Sounds like you are using commercial glazes? If so there really isn’t anything except trial and error to find one that is satisfactory to you. Yellow tinge is probably from trace amounts of iron in the glaze. Might be less expensive to buy a white glaze rather than trial and error testing of different clear glazes if white is what you are looking for.
BTW, you can turn a clear glaze white by adding an opacifier, zircopax would be the least expensive one. Would need a glaze sieve, accurate scale and a small amount of testing to do this.

Thanks.  It sounds like something I am just going to have to live with.  My seniors don' t know the difference and usually put a luster over the clear glaze.  They are happy.  It is mostly me that knows the difference.  I'll just have to remember to use white glaze.  Thank you so much.  Blessings, Judy.

15 hours ago, Babs said:

Could it be the white slip turns Cream at glaze temp?

Bisque is done to cone 05, glaze is done to cone 06 or 05. Could just look at an unglazed part of the pot to see the difference in the casting slip colour.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I read your question cause I am struggling the same issue. I use standard low fire white slip 04 or 05 cone bisque and 06 cone duncan clear glaze. But my items come yellowisj. I am fed up with this issue please help me. 

14 hours ago, Merve said:

Hi. I read your question cause I am struggling the same issue. I use standard low fire white slip 04 or 05 cone bisque and 06 cone duncan clear glaze. But my items come yellowisj. I am fed up with this issue please help me. 

Hi and welcome to the forum.

From Standard's website and their  Lowfire Slip page there is a link with glaze recommendations. Duncan IN1001 "slightly yellow, may blur crisp underglaze lines". There are four other Mayco glaze result descriptions there also. It seems the least yellowing recommendation is Spectrum 700. Standard recommends doing both bisque and glaze to cone 04.

Link here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0039/8177/0841/files/105-LFW_Glaze_Rec.pdf?v=1674848426

• 3 weeks later...

I too have experienced the same issue with white clay firing yellow -ish under clear glaze. Ugh, so frustrating. While I'm not using Standard's white slip I do work with their white earthenware (STD 105). I recently discovered that same document from Standard (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0039/8177/0841/files/105-LFW_Glaze_Rec.pdf?v=1674848426) and find it interesting. I've been using Mayco/Duncan PB001 which is on the list as compatible (crystal clear at cone 04) but it wasn't for me. That said... I did test the Spectrum 700 and was happier with the results. The clay is definitely whiter under that clear glaze.  I bisque and glaze to 04.