gas kiln should i convert back to lpg

billbill

hi ,ive got an old laser gaS kiln in the uk, it runs on natural gas , im wondering  about the pros and cons of converting to propane gas,. ive got a rough idea og the parts that will need changing. theres no advice to be had as Laser is now defunct   and pottery craft are completely clueless since there  gas kiln guy died

thanks anyone for views/advice

34 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

Not much to convert - new orifice sizes ( smaller) proper regulator for the propane. The question is which is more convenient and cost effective for you? If natural gas is available in sufficient quantity, why would you convert?

as for why would i convert .....hoping to discover if i should, here

it has occurred to me that any serious malfunction on a natural gas installation may affect the house gas installation too [like an exploding house :)]. but i know that people will say that a qualified gas engineer should do a proper job

and i wonder where i'd find a new sized burner to fit, or are they sort of generic?

thanx for that

Edited by billbill

Usually natural gas is cheaper so if you have natural gas stick with it. If you are not able to use natural gas and must use propane its just an small orfice change on each buner and a propane regular  at  tank-no big deal

so the only reason to convert is what gas type do you have thats convenient?

17 minutes ago, billbill said:

thanx mark c. i just added this which u may not have seen. any comment appreciated :

it has occurred to me that any serious malfunction on a natural gas installation may affect the house gas installation too [like an exploding house :)]. but i know that people will say that a qualified gas engineer should do a proper job

and i wonder where i'd find a new sized burner to fit, or are they sort of generic? is the orifice changed separate to the burner

Edited by billbill

Depends on the burner as to what type of orifice it has. Usually they just screw on. Worst case you get a cap and drill it yourself. Depending on the size of the kiln, you may need a fairly large propane tank for it to work properly and not freeze up the tank, so you've got to deal with where to keep the tank, getting it filled, etc. If you have natural gas available use it.