Re-firing under-fired, crazed glaze-ware?

Hi all- tripped a breaker during a ^6 glaze fire which resulted in my clear glaze coming up a bit cloudy/ opaque. There’s a slight shine but is still relatively dull.

Once I realized the breaker tripped, I assumed the load couldn’t be saved since the glaze started to turn. In my frustration, recklessly unloaded everything while the internal temp was about 320*F. This obviously lead to quite a bit of crazing. 

my question is- will refiring at a slightly lower temp (^4/^5) fix the crazing and help the glaze reach maturity, or are the pieces too far gone at this point? Also, what are some precautions and potential mishaps if I go forward with said firing? 

thanks so much everyone! 

Edited by Lightbeaming
Specified degrees when mentioning temperature

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Might not have been the unloading at 320 (F?) that lead to the crazing. If this glaze normally doesn't craze then it probably crazed because it was underfired. 

2 hours ago, Lightbeaming said:

my question is- will refiring at a slightly lower temp (^4/^5) fix the crazing and help the glaze reach maturity, or are the pieces too far gone at this point? Also, what are some precautions and potential mishaps if I go forward with said firing? 

Again, does this glaze have crazing usually? Do you know what cone the kiln got to? 

Refiring a mature piece to the same cone is usually a crapshoot, glazes can run and clay can bloat. How fluid is your glaze? If it tends to run then put some waster slabs under your pots to catch glaze drips / runs. Could you test a couple pieces fired to a hot ^5?

Thank you for your feedback! The glaze normally doesn’t craze. I was concerned the drastic temperature shift caused the crazing since the clay was shifting at a different rate than the glaze. 

I don’t remember the exact temp but I know it got to at least 1800*F. I was about 6 hrs in to a ^6 medium glaze fire. I have an electric kiln. 

yes, this glaze runs a bit if applied to thickly. I have a few random mugs with this glaze that I use when I need a “dummy” piece for a test firing and it usually stays in tact. Don’t want to risk it though, so I was also thinking about making a few cookies to catch potential runs. And agreed. Planning  to refire a few at a slightly lower temp ^5 with the cookies underneath. 

20 hours ago, Kelly in AK said:

sometimes a cone 6 piece ends up in a low fire glaze load.

Refiring cone 6 items usually gets tricky when the underfired piece got close to the intended temperature range the first round. Accumulated heat work is going to matter less if the pieces only got to bisque temps.