Can you help me identify what OLD Skutt model kiln I have?

AngelaAngela

Hi all!
I recently purchased a used Lockerbie wheel that came with a free kiln as it was unknown if it is working. I am a beginner in the ceramics world and have been taking classes but kilns are beyond me. I am thrilled to have it but man, I can't seem to get a for sure identity on it. I believe it is an OLD Skutt. Maybe model 181 but the label on the kiln is missing.
This is a manual kiln with a Kiln Sitter. It looks to be in great shape (my pottery instructor told me this as well) but man. I would really like to know how many amps I will need in an outlet for it but with no model number.. oye.

IMG_4639.jpeg

8 sided? If yes, it's probably a 181. Those only pull about 22 amps, so you'll need a 30 amp breaker. It's only rated to cone 6, so not a good kiln if you plan to glaze fire to cone 5/6. You'll only get about 30 firings before you need to change elements firing that hot. You may be able to change out the elements with KM818 elements will pull about 26 amps and would bump the max temp rating to cone 9/10, but you'd need to double check that with Skutt first. That would also mean a larger breaker, like 35 or 40 amps. If you're going to run electrical for a kiln, put in 6 gauge wire so you can hook up a larger kiln in the future if needed and only have to change out the breaker, or at least run conduit that will handle at least three 6 gauge wires.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...