Tubes

I live in California and want to make some mugs. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of where I can get different diameter tubes to make the form. I want to be able to make some mugs and need a straight cylinder. I need different size diameter tubes and was wondering if anyone had an idea of where I can get some. 

Thanks

upholstery fabric is rolled onto cardboard tubes.   very long pieces can be cut so you can make a number of the same size mugs at the same time.  do six and remove the tubes in the same order as they were used.  work quickly tp  avoid shrinking over the form,  cardboard can soften as it becomes moist.

@kevinpleong, just for clarification, you are looking for cylinder forms to make slip casting molds? I have used a Lysol wipes container as a large mug form, they are gently rounded at the bottom with straight sides. Neil's idea of PVC pipe is a good one too as it comes in different diameters. You could add soft clay to the bottom to seal it up while casting it. 

To pick up on Neil's point: I have lots of PVC piping in the studio. I use it as a base for several forms.  A size I found useful was the 3.5" diameter tube. I made a mold of it and its the basis of my braille cup form. With a cone 6 porcelain, 12% shrinkage, it fires out to a nice 3" diameter.

Another useful size is 4.5".

During the summer I had an idea, for a new form, and bought a bunch of 1" x 10' tubes. When I brought it back to the studio I found it did not match my previous PVC tubes. It was then that I learned that there are several types of PVC tubing. The tubing in question is referred to as "Charlotte pipe". Turns out its 4" pipe is actually 4.25" O.D. and makes a great base for a large diameter mug form. (I think the 4.5" standard PVC is just a tad too big.)

• 2 months later...

bill van gilder sends out a weekly email showing how to do something.  today it is about using slabs for drinking vessels.  he rolls a textured slab over a cardboard tube and rolls it bigger.  the technique is a good one, just a 5 minute video with a lot of info in it.

Edited by oldlady